Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: audio pickup in analog x  (Read 587 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello, sorry maybe this question is already been asked but i cant' find,
i want to read the value from a guitar passive pickup putting it into an analog pin of Arduino, so with this data i would like to move a servo .
Must i put some resistor or capacitor before or can i connect directly to the pin?
something like is already be done maybe?
Many thanx
 Carl

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Yes you need something like a 100K pull up and pull down on the analogue input then you need to attach the pickup through a capacitor.
The odds are that the pickup voltage will be so small it will need amplifying first anyway.

Edison Member
View Profile

Guitars like to see a higher impedance.   A pair of 1 Megohm or 2M resistors would be better.   With a 50k load (a pair of 100k resistors) the signal is going to get knocked-down a bit, and your tone will probably be affected. 

With a high impedance load and the guitar volume cranked-up, you should get around 1V, which should be plenty of signal to work with.

With audio inputs, I normally use a peak detector (You'll need to change the 100k input resistor to 1M or more.)    A peak detector will work with lower signal levels, and since it's not biased at 2.5V (like the 2-resistor method) you can use the 1.1V ADC reference with weaker signals.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

I think I'll measure the out voltage and work accordingly, many thanks Grumpy_Mike,many thanks DVDdoug!
 carl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: