Go Down

Topic: Power an arduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

suicidalacorn

i am sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but i do not really know what category this would be in. it is more of a general question.
this may be a dumb question, but it is one that i could not find an answer to.
can i power the arduino uno with 5 volts on the Vin header pin? i know it says 6-20 are the limits and 7-12 is recommended, but it can be powered from usb. usb is only 5 volts. The reason i am asking is because i am making a project that is going to require a max of 2.5 amps. that is way more than the arduino can handle. so i bought two 5 volt 2 amp wall wart power supplies. it would be great if i could have those power supplies power everything including the arduino, but that may not be possible. i guess as a last option if i really wanted to, i could cut a usb cable in half and connect the power supplies to the usb cable, but i only have one of the usb cables the arduino uses. so if i used that for power, i would not be able to use it for data since it would be cut in half. so if that is what you guys recommend, i will buy another cable. i just dont want to if i can power the arduino from the power supplies directly. keep in mind that i am not trying to say that the power will come from the arduino for the project. the power supplies will be powering everything directly. i would just run wires to the arduino to power it. thanks in advance to anyone that helps in any way at all!

CrossRoads

"can i power the arduino uno with 5 volts on the Vin header pin?"
Yes.
Put a 1N4001 or comparable diode from +5 (cathode) to Vin (anode) to protect from reverse biasing the regulator.

"6-20 are the limits and 7-12 is recommended" at the barrel jack or at the Vin pin.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

retrolefty

"can i power the arduino uno with 5 volts on the Vin header pin?"
Yes.
Put a 1N4001 or comparable diode from +5 (cathode) to Vin (anode) to protect from reverse biasing the regulator.

"6-20 are the limits and 7-12 is recommended" at the barrel jack or at the Vin pin.

You mean no to the Vin pin and yes to using the 5V pin don't you?

Lefty

xl97

Jan 24, 2013, 11:31 pm Last Edit: Jan 25, 2013, 04:01 pm by xl97 Reason: 1
Vin +5v 'pad/pin' can only take up +5v ( &this is by passing the +5v regulator ....correct??)

edit: corrected

suicidalacorn

Vin pin can only take up +5v....correct?
(this is by passing the +5v regulator?)

i don't think so. from what i have read the Vin can only take 6 to 20 volts, and 7 to 12 volts is recommended. but i may be wrong.

Go Up