Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Coming of age  (Read 1538 times)
Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
A newbie with loads of posts, and still so much to learn !
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Right, I am officially an Old Fart today, 65 in your earthling years, but young at heart !

It looks like its also my last day as a God member :-)

Here comes my first whenwe :-
When we were kids, everybody enjoyed butter, full cream milk ( which was called "milk" in those days, the cream and the milk were packaged together, not sold seperately ), golden deepfried chips, bread and dripping, big family Sunday roasts with pudding round the dining room table - weekdays was the kitchen table !
When old people died, they died of old age, there weren't all the tags they have nowdays to try and get you to give up a pleasure to " enjoy " a long age ( often in a retirement home when the kids have flown )
Plus, the pleasures you are supposed to avoid change every year like a fashion, and often a commercially alternative is offered. " dont drink free tap water, rather buy some that has been sitting in a plastic bottle on a shop shelf for weeks "

Ooh , that felt good ! ranting like an old fart, now back to work....

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

So you're now a grumpy old fart man then?

I'm getting close to the old part and I've been practising the grumpy part for years.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

I remember the days when you bought milk in a bottle, and the cream rose to the top.

Now, it's dozens of different milk "products". And we found out recently that even "normal" milk here is actually supplemented with "permeate" which is a by-product of other dairy production.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

using permeate as an additive can save dairy processors the cost of disposing of the product.

I just checked that on WKPdia, no wonder there has been a fuss in Australia,  getting rid of waste by watering down your product !  What a con.

Our milkman used to put stones ( that we left on the doorstep )on top of the bottles to keep the birds from nicking the cream,  the good old days.

With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Ozzy Osbourne.  When I was young, the typical parent blew a gasket if their kid was caught listening to his music.  I had friends who lied and/or snuck-out to got to his concert.  The parents of one friend gathered up and destroyed all his "devil music".

Now his music is used to sell family sedans on broadcast television.  From a twisted devil worshiping satanist to Honda's front man.  Talk about a generational change!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

When I was young schools used to get a delivery of half (or third) pint bottles of milk for "morning recess". The crates of milk were just left in the sun in the schoolyard. You can imagine what it was like on a warm day, after it had been there for a few hours.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

I love my milk cold,    25 years back we lived next to a smallholding, and our daughter would go an collect a 2 litre coke bottle of fresh milk, yellow at the top with cream, not pasteiurized , just " past our gate ".   ( we are all still alive )
It was still warm, but I couldn't drink it until it had been in the fridge to chill.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

"I'm getting close to the old part and I've been practising the grumpy part for years."

That why they keep sending you off to the outback Rob ?

My wife was looking over my shoulder the other day and asked  "  why do they all call that guy Grumpy Mike  ?  "

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Yes and remember when organic food was just called food!

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

Yeah, I don't get how strawberries can be "organic". As opposed to what? Manufactured?

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

We used to pick up the horse manure from behind the coal cart for Grandad to put on the strawbwerries and rhubarb -  that must be organic ?

Edison Member
View Profile

i was born in 80... I had the milk in the bottle, i had all the old fashioned stuff, but i'm also used to all the new things you talk of as well.

I'm 31 or 32, and i'm already sick of getting older....

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

I remember when fireflies would almost fill the air some nights. And there were loads of birds and small animals. Then the 60's got rolling.

Not to forget:
We walked 5 miles to school and 5 back through 4 feet of snow uphill both ways!

Examples can be found in your IDE.

Cape Town South Africa
Edison Member
View Profile

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
    You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.

From the Monty Pythons sketch  :-)     http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Happy B-Day, Boffin! I like to say, we don't have a lot of choice about growing older, but I refuse to grow up!

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: