Go Down

Topic: Inverting buck boost converter load connection (Read 429 times) previous topic - next topic

gnusmas

Hi

I am reading up on buck-boost converters, and one thing I cant understand is, is it possible to simply just swap around the connections for the load for example a small dc motor?

Thanks

DVDdoug

Jan 24, 2013, 08:51 pm Last Edit: Jan 24, 2013, 09:20 pm by DVDdoug Reason: 1
Yes, if you want to reverse a DC moter, you can simlply reverse the connections.

With relays or a bridge circuit, you can make a motor driven from a single-supply that runs either directions.

Sometimes you need a true negative voltage (referenced to ground).   For example, audio signals are AC (the voltage swings both positive and negative) so it's often handy to run an audio op-amp from + & - power supplies (although you can make an audio amp or preamp with a single supply).

Or sometimes if you are working with very-low positive DC voltages, it's easier to build a circuit that goes below zero volts, and that allows you to go down to zero-volts linearly.

If you are building a power supply (that runs off AC house power) you can make it put-out both positive & negative voltages (i.e. use a center-tapped transformer) and you don't need a separate inverter circuit.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy