Go Down

Topic: Need advice on powering lots of chips (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

It looks like the chips require split +/-5V supply.

No, they don't require it at all, they will run with the analog rails (Vdd, Vee) from 3 to 18V apart.

However the logic inputs are referenced to Vss and Vdd - this means that it makes sense to
have Vee at -5V if dealing with analog signals that are AC centred around 0V.  In that case Vss will
be 0V to allow the logic inputs to work (Vss = 0V, Vdd = +5V, same as logic)

However you can common Vss and Vee if you want.  However the logic rails need to be approximately
the same voltage as the analog supply then - the logic LOW/HIGH thresholds are between Vdd and
Vss.  If Vss = 0V and Vdd = 9V then 5V logic probably won't drive it.  A level-shifter would be needed.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Jan 26, 2013, 02:04 am Last Edit: Jan 26, 2013, 11:37 am by kustom Reason: 1

just to make sure that you don't get brown outs I would connect a LM7805 or buck ic to the 9V supply and connect all the 5V ic's to it. You cant overdo it with the decoupling caps.

Okay is this acceptable then: 9V power supply regulated with LM7805 -> regulated 5V as source for every chip, including arduino?

EDIT: Does that even make sense, I mean, voltage from USB is also 5V. My guess would be that 5V from LM7805 is more stable, am I right?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131