Go Down

Topic: Attiny85 Invalid device signature... (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

simondumbo

I had a similar error message a little while ago and, with the help of this forum, managed to solve the problem.  Have a look at this thread and see if that gives you any ideas:
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,140550.msg1056824.html#msg1056824

rptw

I've tried many of the bootloader suggestions but nothing seems to work.  I don't have access to a crystal so I haven't done it that way, only the way through ArduinoISP on pin 9 that I listed in the OP.  Thanks for trying guys!

strykeroz

I presume you have just the one ATTiny85 so can't swap in a 2nd to see if the problem is common to both.

Nick Gammon has a sketch for detecting the signatures of all manner of Atmel processors, available for download here.  It needs the same connections as the ISP (explained in full on this page using an ATMega).

Does it find your ATTiny?

Geoff
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

rptw

Unfortunately I get a similar result as before with the following from the serial monitor
Code: [Select]
Atmega chip detector.
Entered programming mode OK.
Signature = FF FF FF
Unrecogized signature.
LFuse = 62
HFuse = DF
EFuse = FF
Lock byte = FF
Clock calibration = FF

First 256 bytes of program memory:

0: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
10: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF

fungus

Looks to me like a wiring problem...

Check all connections/wires for continuity. Move it to a different place on the breadboard, etc.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Go Up