Go Down

Topic: Using a laptop in place of shields? (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic

Nick_Pyner

Well, I guess it's an opinion. But it is not shared by me or the many users of Linux.
Indeed it is only an opinion, an opinion shared by squillions of Windows users who await the good reason to think otherwise with only the faintest enthusiasm. If there was a Linux messiah, the coming would have been acclaimed years ago.
I notice that you have not challenged my assertion that the laptop would perform better with Linux :)
No, I didn't. It is utterly irrelevant and only becomes relevant if the performance of Windows is manifestly lacking. My view of using a laptop is admittedly narrow and it is mainly focussed on feeding Excel via PLX at one second intervals. If Linux can do this, it's performance is of no interest, it's just a minor news item. If it can't do it, it doesn't perform at all.
The Arduino won't know or care whether the PC has Linux or XP on it. The easiest one will be the one you are familiar with.
A point agreed to by the abovementioned squillions - to the point where they wonder why anyone would bother with Linux.

Robin2

- to the point where they wonder why anyone would bother with Linux.
I wonder what is driving the server that is hosting this website?

I am perfectly comfortable with people giving their hard earned money to MIcrosoft if that is what pleases them.

I would appreciate similar tolerance from you in relation to people who prefer Linux.

I have a sneaking suspicion you have not given Linux a fair trial.

What are your views on Apple MACs ?

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Nick_Pyner

Jul 23, 2016, 02:19 am Last Edit: Jul 23, 2016, 05:58 pm by Nick_Pyner
I wonder what is driving the server that is hosting this website?
I have no idea, but I do feel that it doesn't run as well as it used to, hence the unanswered compliants somewhere around, and other manifest failures and glitches. Please don't tell me the problems are because they switched to Linux.
I am perfectly comfortable with people giving their hard earned money to MIcrosoft if that is what pleases them.
I don't mind giving M$ my money, so long as they give what I need in return, and what I need is the means to make money.
I would appreciate similar tolerance from you in relation to people who prefer Linux.
I have no problems with people preferring Linux. I just think it is an unnecessary blind alley for normal users, and OP in particular. I even recall my brother actually bought a little laptop that had Linux installed. I understand it ran it because it had a small SSD. That made some sense but, needless to say, he didn't keep it for long.
I have a sneaking suspicion you have not given Linux a fair trial.
You are absolutely right, I haven't. There has never been the motivation to depart from the OS I, along with nearly everybody else, am familiar with.
What are your views on Apple MACs ?
Not very good ones, or very qualified, as I stopped using Mac in 1986. At the time it was principally due to inadequate support from Apple. I think I actually got dead lucky there.
I'm a professional and the software I have been using for twenty five years does not run on a Mac. I guess it might surprise you to hear they don't make a Linux version either, and so therefore neither OS merits the slightest consideration.
And getting more to the real matter, my Arduino work is in conjunction Microclima heat meters which use proprietory softtware for monitoring via IRDA and, guess what?, their stuff is Windows only as well.

Robin2

Jul 23, 2016, 10:41 am Last Edit: Jul 23, 2016, 10:47 am by Robin2
I wonder how many people would use Windows if computer retailers were obliged to offer every laptop and PC without Windows at a lower price that reflects a saving of the retail price of a copy of Windows.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Nick_Pyner

That sounds like the lament from someone watching the train go out of the station, and it probably won't make any difference anyway, the answer is still squillions. I submit it would just mean the retailers will have to field complaints from people demanding to know why they haven't got Windows pre-installed, and being offered a Linux for free isn't an answer. This might go some way to explain why your retailers do what they do. There is plenty of opportunity to get a box without windows anyway. The brigade of no-name beige box makers sell millions of them, and I imagine if the Linux freaks buy a box, that is where they go to get it. Why, they may even be 0.01% of that market.

Robin2

why they haven't got Windows pre-installed,
I have no problem with them selling PCs with Windows pre-installed. But it should also be possible to buy the exact same PC at a cheaper price without Windows.

...R

Nick_Pyner

Insufficient demand, therefore no supply. All it means is the retailer risks unsold stock on his hands taking up shelf space and incurring labour and logistical costs - both of which have to be paid for by the consumers, irrespective of their ideology. It makes much more sense to leave the Linux freax to either wither or survive as they can, somewhere else.

Robin2

leave the Linux freax
That's not nice.

I thought you said earlier you would be tolerant.

...R

Nick_Pyner

You're just getting over-sensitive. For godssake don't raise this matter with the retailers, they are sure to tell you the same thing but likely more forcefully.

Robin2

For godssake don't raise this matter with the retailers
I suspect the right place to raise it is with the Competition Authority.

...R

Nick_Pyner

Probably not. This dead horse flogging been going on for years and you can be sure that tack has been sailed long ago. It's time to read reply #23 again. I doubt any Competition Authority can force manufacturers or retailers to cater for niche markets, and the people who do cater for niche market will be mightily pissed off if they did.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding things here, but I would not have thought a linux user would be seen dead driving a Dell - cultural incompaitibility spring readily to mind.

I must say I did spare a very slightly sympathetic thought for you and those of your ilk yesterday when I was rather surprised to find that Ada has a bluetooth shield that enables you to programme Arduino remotely. No Linux version, though. I guess that sums it up.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy