Go Down

Topic: Want to set up indicator lights thay can be triggered by Applescript. (Read 79 times) previous topic - next topic

Dizza212

I'm working on a project where a Mac Mini runs a whole lot of automator processes automatically to complete a range of jobs.

The Mac is headless (no screen or keyboard etc.) And i would like to have a way for people to see the progress of these automator processes.

If I connect an arduino to the Mac and say 8 indicator LEDs, is there an easy way for me to turn an LED on (until it's turned off again later in the process) using applescript or shell script?

I havent played with Arduino for years but never delved into serial control or anything similar.

Any help is appreciated!

Bonus Question: How hard would it be to add a couple of buttons as inputs to run automator processes when pushed?

Cheers!

Delta_G

Can the Mac use the serial port?  Let arduino and the Mac talk serial to each other and they can communicate anything you want.
Ad hoc, ad loc, and quid pro quo.  So little time - so much to know!  ~Jeremy Hillary Boob Ph.D

Robin2

Have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics. If your MAC can send serial data they should be suitable for receiving it.

Note that the Arduino will reset when the program on the MAC opens the serial port so it should just open it once and keep it open.

I presume you can use Python on the MAC so this Python - Arduino demo may be of interest. The techniques should be applicable to any language.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy