Is it possible to upload sketches over Bluetooth to an Arduino?

Hi everyone. :grin:
I have a quick question - would it be possible for me to upload a sketch over Bluetooth onto my Arduino?

Some extra information:
I'm using a custom created board with an ATmega328 with the Arduino bootloader on it. The Bluetooth Module that I'm using is Recommendations For You - DealeXtreme.
I've connected the RX to TX and TX to RX and the power wires to the required +5V and ground. I can connect to the module using my Windows and my Mac but when it comes to uploading a program, it keeps saying that "Serial port 'COM5' already in use. Try quitting any programs that may be using it."
I'm pretty sure that no other programs are using it, so ... :~

Anyone have any suggestions?
Or am I just doing something really stupid? :sweat_smile:

Thanks in advance! :smiley:

AKdaBAOUS

Hi again. ^___^
I have a feeling that the bluetooth module is broken because after following pretty much every tutorial out there, I can't seem to get a piece of software to detect it so I've given up on that for the time being. :frowning:

Just another question - how would I go about programming the ATmega328 using a wired connection? Could I simply just connect the RX and TX from a serial port in reverse to the RX and TX on the ATmega328 (i.e. RX/TX and TX/RX)? Or is there something more detailed that requires to be done?

Thanks again in advance! XD

AKdaBAOUS

AKdaBAOUS:
Hi again. ^___^
I have a feeling that the bluetooth module is broken because after following pretty much every tutorial out there, I can't seem to get a piece of software to detect it so I've given up on that for the time being. :frowning:

Just another question - how would I go about programming the ATmega328 using a wired connection? Could I simply just connect the RX and TX from a serial port in reverse to the RX and TX on the ATmega328 (i.e. RX/TX and TX/RX)? Or is there something more detailed that requires to be done?

That would work for the data, but the Arduino IDE/AVRDUE activates the DTR control signal (through a series cap to the avr reset pin) to cause a auto-reset that starts the AVR bootloader at the correct time that AVRDUDE is expecting it to be active to start the upload process. One can use a manual reset button to reset the chip at the correct time, but the timing can be tricky for some to perform.
Lefty
Thanks again in advance! XD

AKdaBAOUS

Ah cool, well I'll give the timing a try and if that doesn't work then I shall attempt something different. :grin:
Thanks! XD

AKdaBAOUS:
Ah cool, well I'll give the timing a try and if that doesn't work then I shall attempt something different. :grin:
Thanks! XD

The method that works pretty good for me is to press and hold the manual reset switch down and then hit upload and when you see the completed compiled sketch size displayed in the IDE then release the reset switch. May take a little practice.

Lefty

Thanks for the tip! XD

AKdaBAOUS

Ok, I've tried over 50 times and it didn't work so I officially give up - I'll now pursue another solution. :grin:
Thanks for all the help anyway! XD

Regards,
AKdaBAOUS

I'm a newbie too, and I have had quite some trouble with this exact problem. I have not gotten my DTR reset system to work yet, but I have mastered the manual reset method. My Bluetooth module status LED flashes slowly when ready to connect, and goes solid when connected. The procedure I have used successfully is to press "upload sketch" on the Arduino IDE, then press and hold the reset button on my Arduino. When I see my Bluetooth Status LED go from flashing to solid, I immediately let go of the reset button. Works every time for me.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice :grin: - I'll give it a go when my new Bluetooth module arrives (turns out that there was some voltage problems and I kinda blew it up :sweat_smile:).

AKdaBAOUS