Go Down

Topic: Arduino controlled telegraph sounder (Read 699 times) previous topic - next topic

Hey all,
I hope I'm posting this in the right section, and excuse any ignorant mistakes I have (or will) make, I'm new to this and trying to feel my way through.  I have an old western electric telegraph sounder that I would like to have controlled by my arduino uno.  I know I cannot drive it directly off of the digital pin as it pulls ~40mA, and the max on that pin is 20mA, iirc.  From the research that I have done, I believe what I need to do is separate it using a 2n2222 transistor and power it separately.  Is there anything else I would want to do in order to protect my board?  Any and all suggestions/information would be appreciated.  I searched and only found one other post mentioning a telegraph sounder and he was dealing with a dkuino board. 

Thanks,
Michael

0AlphaOmega

Inductive? Basically an electric bell?
If so I would tend to opto-issolate and use a separate supply.

circuit you can adapt here - Bottom of page

http://www2.mec.ua.pt/activities/graduationprojects/graduationprojectpages/2003-2004/H1/PICs/picbook/en/6_05Poglavlje.htm
For whom does the clock pulse? It pulses for you!

Is there an advantage to using an optocoupler as opposed to the transistor as well as a diode bridging the coil to deal with kickback?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy