soft circuit voice amplifier

Hi
I am interested in making a jacket that simply amplifies the wearer's voice. I have used a lilypad arduino for projects in the past but have never attempted any sound projects. I would like to use a kind of woven or embroidered speaker on the jacket to allow the person who is wearing it to speak loudly in front of an audience.
Does anyone know of a lilypad project that amplifies the voice through a soft circuit and lilpad?

thanks

No you can not do this with a digital controller. You need the signal to be 5V peak to peak before you can input it and by the time that is done there is nothing left for the arduino to do.

I know that it is possible to make soft circuit speakers using fabrics and the lilypad, what device would have to be connected to this circuit - a small microphone? I'm thinking of the kind of mike that professors might use in a lecture hall.

I know that it is possible to make soft circuit speakers using fabrics and the lilypad

Can you post a link so I can tell what you mean. The words you use are strange and not engineering terms.
Any microphone just produces a very small signal, this needs to be amplified. You can not do this with just an arduino.

yes I am pretty new to arduino- here is a link that might help HOW TO GET WHAT YOU WANT

thanks

Thanks for the link.
Sorry the answer is still no. The arduino can generate the waveform of a sound at 5V, but the output from a microphone is about 0.001 volts, so it needs amplifying by 5000 times. You can not use the arduino to do this you must use an audio amplifier.

Ok but would it be possible to use an audio amplifier in conjunction with a speaker made of conductive thread? (As shown in the link) You can use it with an ipod so I would like to know why not an audio amplifier of someone's voice?

jhamble3 wrote:
I would like to use a kind of woven or embroidered speaker on the jacket to allow the person who is wearing it to speak loudly in front of an audience.

Unfortunately I don't believe such a speaker will have anywhere near the capability to produce clear and powerful sound.
The soft speaker is an innovative idea, great for wearable tech art where the type sounds and very low db and no quality is needed.

To have the person able to 'speak loudly in front of an audience', you will need the person to ware a large battery, a good quality and powerful audio amplifier with microphone input and a rather large speaker, all of which will probably weigh the person down quite a bit.

Maybe that is why lecterns with the complete audio works have been invented?

Paul

Yes of course. I need to be more specific- but in my ignorance I thought that this kind of audio project had been made already with arduino lilypad. In theater performances actors often wear compact mics and have battery 'packs' that are attached with velcro to their bodies. They do not need to wear large heavy amplifiers or huge batteries. I was curious to know if it might be possible to combine this set up with a 'soft' speaker. What actually inspired me to think about making something like this is that I know someone with a disability-who might not in a classroom or group situation be able to raise his voice without straining and is tired of explaining the huge audio amplifier weighing him down.
thanks for all the replies!
J