Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Motor Controller with ATMega168  (Read 1083 times)
SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

it really should be switched with the rest of the power, but thats a design thing, if you have a radio shack this thing is sorta beefy

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102857

or you can often find good sized ones out of older appliances

having some breathing room does help, though without it you pretty much have to heat the entire volume of air up to some degree before heatskink efficiency diminishes

Washington, PA
A job worth doing is worth doing right
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

or you can often find good sized ones out of older appliances

That sent me on a scavenger hunt into corners of my house looking for anything that might contain a PCB to see what components I might find to salvage. Just a bit ago, I found a multi channel amplifier, a NAD 906, and it's just loaded with stuff in triplicate. It doesn't power on. I swear I never saw it before, either, and I haven't an idea where it came from. Several in working order have sold on eBay for around $100 in the last month. I may see if I can figure out what's wrong with some on-line tutorial help, but if not, I'll have loads of fodder to practice un-soldering components.

In the process of snugging the components down close to surface of my project board, I broke the wires of a 10uF Capacitor at the level of the solder. Now, I had a mess; how to remove the solder, and how to get the broken wire out of the hole. As it happens, I have 8" stainless steel double pointed knitting needles in all sorts of sizes from .7mm to 5mm. These holes are tiny, so I pulled one of the .7mm needles, heated it along with the solder until I could push the needle through the hole. After a couple of seconds, I pulled the needle back out of the hole, and on the back side, a small straw of solder remained. That easily knocked off, and revealed an open hole. Because there was an identical capacitor right next to that one, I knew how to align this one to keep polarity. It didn't explode when I connected it to the power source, and turned on the switch, and the motor turned as always.

Back to the amp; there are 3 aluminum angle irons about 1.5" x 1.25" x 12", and each of these is screwed to heat sinks about 1.75" x 3" x 9". To each of those angle irons are screwed many of what looks like 5V. Regulators. Everything inside is extremely dusty, and covered with lint, pet hair, and I don't know what else. When it's light tomorrow, it's going to get a good hard gust of wind from the air compressor.

What might I find in there that's worth keeping?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: