Go Down

Topic: Printing tiny images using Arduino Uno (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Yegor_A

Aug 18, 2015, 12:41 pm Last Edit: Aug 19, 2015, 11:25 am by Yegor_A
Hello! I want to present you my first project based on Arduino. This is a mini printer made of lacer-cut plywood details.
The task of this printer is printing small images on stickers. If you are interested in this project or you have some questions, i will try to answer them

Video here

shaash

robtillaart

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

zoomkat

Interesting project. Are those 9g servos? What is the thickness is the plywood and what size laser was used to cut it?
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

Yegor_A

What was the total cost?
  • Arduino uno - $25
  • Servo sg90 3pcs ~ $5
  • Plywood - <1$
  • Total cost: ~30$

If I use any XDuino, the cost will be lower.

Yegor_A

Aug 20, 2015, 01:11 pm Last Edit: Aug 20, 2015, 01:11 pm by Yegor_A
Interesting project. Are those 9g servos? What is the thickness is the plywood and what size laser was used to cut it?
Yes, I used sg-90, the cheapest servo that I could found. The thickness of plywood is 4mm. My lacer machine is 1290SC.

Yegor_A

Transmitting the image data from computer to the miniprinter is a task for my programm based on JavaX swing.
In this program I can edit an image before printing and send some commands for debug. For working with COM port I used jssc library.
(Sorry for my English, it is not my mother tongue)

Pedro147

Nice work thanks for sharing. I would love to build one but too many other projects on the go  :)
http://www.pedroduino.com

cr0sh

• Arduino uno - $25
  • Servo sg90 3pcs ~ $5
  • Plywood - <1$
  • Total cost: ~30$

If I use any XDuino, the cost will be lower.
You should also factor in the laser cutting cost; most people don't own a laser cutter (though they are getting cheaper) - so they either have to find a maker/hacker space with one (so figure in fees for membership), find a local TechShop (no where near "low-cost") - or buy a laser cutter ($$$). Or use an online service, or maybe a friend owns one...

That said - if the parts aren't too small (or too complex - the gears seem the most intricate) - a scrollsaw might be able to be used, provided one was really careful and patient.

I've given thought in the past of getting a laser cutter - but two things about them (beyond the cost) keeps me from doing so:

1) Ventilation can be difficult (very important though, especially if cutting acrylic).

2) Longevity of tube (I don't think I would use such a machine often enough to get the maximum amount of life from the tube - tube-based CO2 laser cutters need to be used often to get the most life out of them - counter-intuitive, but true).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

zoomkat

I've been looking at the inexpensive 40W laser cutters to see if they would be able to cut thru the 5.2mm lauan plywood with multiple passes. The cutters are getting popular enough now that online groups are forming.
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

Yegor_A

The first prototype of this project was made without laser-cutter. I used Proxxon DS 230/E, it's a tiny jigsaw machine, that cheaper then any laser cutter - it costs some more then 200$.
This is a sample "hand-made" gear, and it works very good and stably:

So, this project can be made without laser cutter.
Maybe some later I'll post tutorial, if somebody would be interested in it.

shadowofdeath718

The first prototype of this project was made without laser-cutter. I used Proxxon DS 230/E, it's a tiny jigsaw machine, that cheaper then any laser cutter - it costs some more then 200$.
This is a sample "hand-made" gear, and it works very good and stably:

So, this project can be made without laser cutter.
Maybe some later I'll post tutorial, if somebody would be interested in it.
Hi,
Thanks for sharing. I'm very interested in this project. Can you make a tutorial for this?

Yegor_A

Hi,
Thanks for sharing. I'm very interested in this project. Can you make a tutorial for this?
Hi, i have already written tutorial, it has a lot of photos and plans. But i've written it in russian, english translate will come later.

Sembot

Dec 22, 2015, 12:37 pm Last Edit: Dec 22, 2015, 01:36 pm by Sembot
Hai

it is a fantasties project you might make a http://www.instructables.com of
Can you post some additional photographs, front, side, rear, top, bottom with dimensions or view a PDF of the different components i wil make it with mine Prusa i3 3D printer
Why the gears are not posted immediately on the servos, I I do not abort your project just ask out intrested

Kind regards

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy