Go Down

Topic: MAX7219 madness (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic



I try to drive a LED display with MAX7219 and Arduino. I use LTC-2727G common cathode 7-segment/4-digit display, which is previously successfully multiplexed with Arduino. But this time i need more free pins, and  i selected MAX7219 for driving the display.

The problem is, that if i run the MAX7219 7-segment example from LedControl library, all digits show "8", all segments light up, and nothing happens.
I can see that the MAX is writing characters to the first digit (but only there), because the first digit lights up sometimes brighter as the others.
What can cause this? I tried different values for Rset, but nohing changed.
My first thought was a shortage, but for all the 4 digits? Noooo :D MAX7219 is brand new...  Communication is OK...

Has anybody seen anything like that? Any help would be appreciated...


Would be helpful to have a circuit and the sketch.

Have you wired the segments and digit selections the right way round?
Arduino Libraries http://arduinocode.codeplex.com
Parola for Arduino http://parola.codeplex.com


Jan 26, 2013, 10:54 pm Last Edit: Jan 26, 2013, 11:00 pm by ColT Reason: 1
I will upload the circuit, but i think it is mostly OK. (3 wires to MAX, and from that, wires to the LTC2727...)
It is possible that it is miswired, but i will check only tomorrow (and, miswired? for all the 4 digita? :) and all segments are lighting? :S ). Sketch is uploaded from LedControl library's example, without changes (except pin definitions).

Schematic and PCB :

Link : http://kepz.atw.hu/1.png


I had to use lots of wires, due to small pcb size :(
(It is a desk clock with a thermometer, very simple.)


Usually worth trying the really obvious things first.
Arduino Libraries http://arduinocode.codeplex.com
Parola for Arduino http://parola.codeplex.com


Jan 26, 2013, 10:59 pm Last Edit: Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 pm by ColT Reason: 1
I added scematic adn PCB to the first entry.
I took a short measure, and there is 5V on every digit outputs on the MAX...


Jan 27, 2013, 09:20 am Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 09:23 am by ColT Reason: 1
OK guys, sorry for dumb questions! Error was a miswiring, the Max's Dig4 output was wired to the Adruino's A5, which i used for DIN to the MAX. So it haven't got any data received :D I think the error happened during the toner transfer, which after i have corrected the wires, whose were not transferred correctly.
Now it is working fine, thanks :)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131