Go Down

Topic: Reading pulses from another circuit (Read 575 times) previous topic - next topic

So, I'm trying make a shift light for my 1992 BMW.  Looking on the BMW forums, I can get to my tacho wire (not OBDII car is too old).  First off I'm just trying to get pulseIn (or alternative) to work.
I have my Nano with a simple bit of code to provide a pulse that my Uno can read.
pin10 high, delay(100), pin10 low, delay(duration) - duration controlled by a potentiometer on the Nano.
So I'm treating pin10 as the cable i find in the car, I can hopefully calibrate later once i get it functioning.

Not had much luck with pulseIn function and I'm a bit confused about what my wiring should look like. I wonder if anyone can help.

I tried the pulseIn tutorial, (not a lot of info on the page)  also found a nice bit code that could replace pulseIN
if (digitalRead(inputPin) == HIGH)
         pulseBegin = millis();
         while (digitalRead(inputPin) == HIGH){}
         pulseDuration = millis()-pulseBegin;

My wiring tried just bridging output pin 10 on nano to input pin on the uno, but i don't get any change in the serial reading when i tweek the nano potentiometer.

I always think with my electrical brain rather than electronics, what I'd like to wire up is the equivalent of;
The nano/car signal drives a relay coil, then the uno has +5v going to the power side of the relay and a digital-in pin from the NO contact.

I'm beggining to dable with transistors and it feels like I should use one here, but don't quite know how to read by 4 pin relay concept to the 3 pins on the transistor.

Hope this makes sense!

Many thanks

If you are looking for a 4-pin equivalent of a relay in that situation, use an opto isolator instead of a transistor (with a resistor in series with the input).

BTW the usual way to measure the interval of a regular input signal is to feed it into a pin that supports attachInterrupt, attach a service routine using mode RISING or FALLING, and time the interval between interrupts.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

I can get to my tacho wire

You will need to get a sense of what types of signals you are dealing with. My guess is that it is a pwm signal - most tachos are like that.

In that case, you will need to measure duty cycle + period.

It can be a one-timer or two-timer solution, depending on how you want to solve it.

Trying the opto isolator solution this evening. Thanks guys.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131