Go Down

Topic: Referencing Arduino sketch in Visual Studio (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

fred2028

I have a solution in Visual Studio 2012 that includes the Arduino sketch (using VisualMicro) and a WPF C# application. How can I refer to and call methods from the Arduino sketch project from my WPF C# project in Visual Studio? So far, they are under the same solution and the Arduino project is a dependency of the C# project. However, I cannot call the loop() function from my C# project and compiling my solution does not compile the Arduino project.

Thanks.

PaulS

How can I refer to and call methods from the Arduino sketch project from my WPF C# project in Visual Studio?

Just like you'd call functions on my computer. The answer is that you can't. The Arduino, in case you haven't figured that out yet, is a separate computer. It just happens to be programmed using the same PC that the C# code is being developed on.

fred2028

Oh OK, darn. What would you recommend me to look at if I want my C# project (Kinect) to communicate live with the Arduino?

PaulS

What would you recommend me to look at if I want my C# project (Kinect) to communicate live with the Arduino?

The same thing I recommended last time you asked. You need to send the Arduino messages. It needs to parse, understand, and implement the messages. A protocol is an agreed upon set of messages - The C# application is then restricted to sending only those messages, and can expect to get a reply in a known format. The Arduino is then able to deal with a known set of messages, in a known way.

Start by making a list of the things that the C# application might expect the Arduino to do. Don't worry about coming up with a message format, yet. Just list the tasks that the C# application needs the Arduino to perform.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy