Go Down

Topic: Serial Internet (Read 265 times) previous topic - next topic

caulculatordude123

I want to send an email to myself when a mousetrap goes off. Would I need an Ethernet shield or can I program it and send a serial code through something like Processing which then in turn would hook up with the internet ?

PaulS

Would I need an Ethernet shield or can I program it and send a serial code through something like Processing which then in turn would hook up with the internet ?

Either one would work. The ethernet shield would not require that a PC be running all the time, with a specific application running. The PC approach would be cheaper, unless you need to buy the PC. It might also be easier of it is already configured to send mail.

caulculatordude123

I'm sorry to keep coming back, but... I'm not quite sure how to do that. Could anyone give me a quick how-to?

PaulS

The first thing you need to find is a web service that can send e-mails for you. Then, you determine what the GET request looks like to invoke the service. Then, you make the GET request, either from the Arduino with ethernet shield, as a client, or from the PC application.

If you elect the PC route, then you need to send data to the serial port to define what the e-mail message, destination, etc. is.

Go Up