Go Down

Topic: Small power source for one century (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic

John_S

The one thing you won't run out of in the next hundred years is curious people.
Reminds me of when my brother was little, he made a small wooden box with a slot in the top. He wrote "Insert Coin Here". Of course when ever we had guests over, they all had to insert a coin to see what happens  XD

cjdelphi

How much power is the device going to need?..  leave a solar cell, sealed up and pull it out and use it at the end of the period of time?.

or a mechanical device, a rolled up coil which releases it's energy once a year and after 100 years it triggers off lol

westfw

The military uses some pretty exotic batteries that I think are supposed to have near-forever shelf-life (well, 20 years, anyway.)  In missiles and fuzes and things.  They're essentially solid and inert at room temperature and need to be activated by a pyrotechnic charge to melt the relevant parts.  After which they produce plenty of power, for long enough for the device to reach the target.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molten_salt_battery

Come to think of it, there's a slightly similar class of water-activated batteries, and a near equivalent in the zinc-air batteries commonly used in hearing aids.  I suspect that if you can build a storage container that will hold vacuum for 100 years, a circuit with OTS Zinc-air batteries might still work after 100 years once you let air (and moisture) in.

Shpaget

-snip-

But how do you figure out when the 100 years is up so you can trigger the battery? What triggers the battery?

Chagrin

-snip-

But how do you figure out when the 100 years is up so you can trigger the battery? What triggers the battery?

Another molten salt battery. To trigger that battery you'd just use another molten salt battery.... and then eventually a turtle.

Go Up