Go Down

Topic: Arduino 1.5.2 command line options (Read 824 times) previous topic - next topic

tekkydave

Hi all,
I have just joined the forum and I'm new to Arduino (but not electronics or Linux).
I have been using the v1.0.3 software with my nano on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with no issues.
I am also getting into astronomy at the moment and I'm hoping to build an automatic focusser for my telescope using the nano and a stepper motor, gears etc.
I have now switched to the 1.5.2 version to use the command line options as I am not a fan of the arduino gui and prefer to use other editors or tools to create the source. Again I have had no problems running this release on Linux.
My real question is this - is there a way to stop the gui appearing when the command-line options are used and is there a definitive list of all the options available?
Many thanks
Dave
Dave

James C4S

Command line options to what?

If you're that opposed to the GUI, then search for "Arduino Makefile" and skip the GUI all together.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

tekkydave

Hi,
The latest version of the arduino environment (v1.5.2 beta) can be called with options on the command line to compile and upload a specified sketch automatically. Trouble is it starts the gui and exits it at the end of the command. I was wondering if there was any additional option to force it to not open the gui as it's pointless on a command line invocation.

I'm not opposed to the gui in any way I just prefer to use other tools. I have tried several makefiles found online and none have worked for me so far. Being able to invoke the official arduino software on the command line would be ideal as it is simple and will be supported in future releases. I don't see why having the gui flash on & off the screen should be necessary. Maybe an improvement for the next release.

Dave
Dave

James C4S

I was wondering if there was any additional option to force it to not open the gui as it's pointless on a command line invocation.

Seems like something that would have been thought of already.  Given how the IDE is cobbled together, letting it load may be the only option. 

I'm not opposed to the gui in any way I just prefer to use other tools.

Not opposed in "any" way, as long you don't see it?  ;)

I have tried several makefiles found online and none have worked for me so far.

Turn on verbose output in the GUI to see the command lines used to call avr-gcc. 

I used this project: https://github.com/mjoldfield/Arduino-Makefile to form the basis of the makefiles I use.

Now I only use the IDE when I'm in a hurry or I am testing someone else's code.

Maybe an improvement for the next release.

1.5.2 isn't officially "released yet".  You might post an issue on the github:
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

tekkydave

I suppose I can put up with it being on the screen for a second or two   :smiley-roll:
Dave

Go Up