Go Down

Topic: Trying to repair my Arduino UNO board (Read 712 times) previous topic - next topic

Miasmictruth

I have an Arduino UNO that burned up, so I bought 5 new ATMEGA328 micros.   I also have an Arduino Mega 2560 board and used it to burn the bootloader onto the UNO board with a new chip in place.

The bootloader process seemed to work and now when I hit the Reset button the LED flashes and seems to reset. However I cant seem to get the board to accept a new program, I get the following error:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

After some research I tried the Loop back test.   It works with the Mega but not with the UNO. This may not matter but I also tested the voltages on the 5 and 3.3 pins and it check out.

I was hoping for some ideas and what do try next to fix the board.

I have a bread board and I am not afraid to solder and order components.   

Thanks for your help!

(Fixing this, for me its about learning, not about cost/time invested)

James C4S

If you remove the ATmega328 and the board doesn't pass loop-back, then putting a new chip in isn't going to do you much good.

Something is wrong with the USB to Serial chip.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Miasmictruth

Fair enough, and advice on fixing the USB on the board?

Nick Gammon

Yep you might need to replace the USB interface chip, if you can. Personally I can't because my SMD skills aren't that good.

You can always keep programming it via the ICSP interface, or hook up an FTDI cable to the serial pins.
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Miasmictruth

Any idea if USB interface chips come pre-programmed or how to burn them after installing it.  I am not sure if my skills are quite that good either but I will probably give it a shot as I enjoy soldering, if we think that is the mostly next step.

As far as programming it through the ICSP,  To test this I am using the default blink program.

Do I still program it with the same setup as when burning the boot loader?  I tried this a couple of times, using the Mega to program the UNO. I did see the LED by the L blink presumably when the Mega reset the UNO, after a few seconds  I see this message pop up again:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I find it odd that I can seemingly upload the boot loader as evident that the reset button works but I cant seem to load programs.  Is there an extra step I am missing somewhere?

MontySylver

When you're programming via ICSP you need to set the programmer to Arduino as ISP and then click File - upload using programmer, or more confident press ctrl+shift+u.
There is no blueprint for life, blueprints are for architects!

Nick Gammon

I find it odd that I can seemingly upload the boot loader as evident that the reset button works but I cant seem to load programs.  Is there an extra step I am missing somewhere?

The bootloader is on the main chip (the Atmega328P). The serial data it reads comes through the USB chip (the Atmega8U2). So it's not that surprising.

http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

Go Up