Go Down

Topic: First experiences and a fried Mega ADK (Read 923 times) previous topic - next topic

Jan 27, 2013, 05:08 pm Last Edit: Jan 27, 2013, 05:13 pm by kernell32 Reason: 1
Hiho,

First of all i want to say this is a really cool project and a fantastic community!

I am a complete noob in programming microcontrollers, but i think im learning fast (sometimes it hurts thou)

My plans with Arduino go towards interactive art projects.

I got an Mega ADK and i am still working my way through basic examples in controlling/combining basic setups (mainly sensors ans motors)

One of my first steps was gathering parts from all sorts of devices (broken scanners printers etc.) so i have a few stepper motors that i want to include in my first mobile arts project.

Thatfore i have bought a EasyDriver stepper driver, wich is working well.

Since one of my steppers is labeled 24v i didnt get it to work to my satisfaction with 5v - 12v but i also hacked an old ATX powersupply so i can use it for my lab, thatone includes a negative 12v supply, so i thought :-) hey -12v to ground +12v to my EasyDriver external vin and i get my 24v! (see picture) just i didnt consider that EasyDriver connect its grounds to my arduinos ground to be common :-(
So basically what happened i supplied negative load (-12v) to my arduino and since that its "toasted"

Symptoms when connecting usb are:

• Power LED is permanently on

• onboard (pin 13) LED is permanently on

• arduino doesnt get recognised by my systems (i tried several machines Linux, MAC, Windows and several usb cables) "unable to enumerate usb device" a little research shows that the device doesnt supply vendor id or device id, its all zeros, power from usb works thou

I checked the boards pins with my multimeter and all seems fine (3.3v, 5v, voltage regulator, etc.)

After searching the forum and other ressources i come to the conclusion that either the ATmega2560 Microprocessor or the ATmega16U2 is toasted (or both)

so what i did is i ordered a new Mega ADK (i will need a second one anyway for Production) and i found "Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-MegaADK-Rev3.hex" in arduinos github, is it possible to reflash both ATmega2560 Microprocessor and ATmega16U2 using that file and another Mega as ISP or do i need an external programmer to do that?
Is there any chance that this wil help at all? I want to atleast be able to program the toasted Mega using serial if the ATmega16U2 is fried.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Jan 30, 2013, 05:38 pm Last Edit: Jan 30, 2013, 05:41 pm by kernell32 Reason: 1
Hello,

so i got my spare mega now and i have tried using it as isp to reflash the toasted mega.

Using the Arduino software i get:

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1e000
        0xff != 0x0d
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

After reading a little i get the impression that the Mega ADK v3 cant be flashed using arduino software because of 120KB

Anyway using the commands stolen from arduino software directly with avrdude from macports i get the same error.

Code: [Select]
avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfd141 -b19200 -e

and

avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfd141 -b19200 -Uflash:w:/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/stk500v2/stk500boot_v2_mega2560.hex:i -Ulock:w:0x0F:m

still no usb device is recognised ofcourse when i plug the fried Mega.
But my "L" LED doesnt shine constantly anymore but is blinking, so something has happened.

I guess i need to flash the atmega16u2 aswell anyway.

Is there a way around the 120K memory problem and if so can i use the same command and my new MegaADK to flash
"Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-MegaADK-Rev3.hex"
fom Arduino firmware sources?
Or do i need a Programmer like "Atmel AVR ISP mkII"

My wiring for flash procedure seems fine, i use this scheme:

What am i missing?

Thanks for all hints.

Hiho,

i got a few steps further  8)

still when i try to upload the bootloader to the atmega2560 using ArduinoISP i get:

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x1e000
         0xff != 0x0d
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch using:

Commands used:
avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodemfd141 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega2560 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/cu.usbmodemfd141 -b19200 -Uflash:w:/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/bootloaders/stk500v2/stk500boot_v2_mega2560.hex:i -Ulock:w:0x0F:m

Anyway i finally figured out that i need to use the second icsp header to access the 8u2/16u2 interface  :*
so:

avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm8u2 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfd141 -b19200  -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0xFD:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD8:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m

avrdude -C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -pm8u2 -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodemfd141 -b19200 -Uflash:w:/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/firmwares/atmegaxxu2/MEGA-dfu_and_usbserial_combined.hex:i -Ulock:w:0x0F:m

seems to work fine (no errors)

but still i get:

[0xffffff804b1eee00] The IOUSBFamily gave up enumerating a USB device after 10 retries.  (Port 4 of Hub at 0xfd100000)

when i plug the fried Mega to usb.

I then found the Atmega_Board_Detector from Nick.

reading the ATmega8U2 ICSP gives me:

Atmega chip detector.
Entered programming mode OK.
Signature = 1E 93 89
Processor = ATmega8U2
Flash memory size = 8192
LFuse = FF
HFuse = D8
EFuse = FD
Lock byte = CF
Clock calibration = 5D
Bootloader in use: Yes
EEPROM preserved through erase: No
Watchdog timer always on: No
Bootloader is 4096 bytes starting at 1000

and reading the ATmega2560 ICSP gives me:

Atmega chip detector.
Entered programming mode OK.
Signature = 1E 98 01
Processor = ATmega2560
Flash memory size = 262144
LFuse = FF
HFuse = D8
EFuse = FD
Lock byte = FF
Clock calibration = 56
Bootloader in use: Yes
EEPROM preserved through erase: No
Watchdog timer always on: No
Bootloader is 8192 bytes starting at 3E000

So to me it looks like the Controllers are actually there and good (but i dont know much about microcontrollers :) still learning), so the Problem must be something more physical after all, some fried components on the board  =(

Or am i missing something?
Maybe wrong fuse settings on the Atmega8u2?
What do they need to be set to?
I didnt find any information on fuse settings for the 8u2 on that board yet.
What else could i try?

Regards

i noticed that after the ptocedures from my last post my board is acting even more weird  :smiley-mr-green:

now once i plug it to usb "L" led blinks
next time i plug it blinks and "RX" led is on

this is randomly happening, sometimes like this, sometimes like that :-)
This is new

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy