Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: radar trap with mattel hotwheels speed gun  (Read 1616 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

i am working on a personal radar speed trap to remind people to slow down a bit.

Now i am searching for a way to read the frequency and in a next step the speed out of the microwave radar from a Hotwheels Speed Radar Gun http://www.edparadis.com/radar/.
Is this possible with Arduino UNO?
I came through some code http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=91793.0 which probably makes it possible but how does it work with the mattel radar?

maybe someone is stuck here too. the hotwheels radar gun is a very usefull an inexpensive toy to work with - if you know how...

Miami/Florida
View Profile

From what I read of the device it already "takes out the doppler frequency" in its internal mixer. You don't have to worry about doing it yourself as working with such high frequencies is the hardest part. You just need to use the output signal. That means the frecuency components you will be working with are low and not the microwave signal itself. The doppler frequency range will be in the audio range and below that, even for the fastest moving objects (cars I guess). Those low frequencies will be a piece of cake for Arduino. Measure the frequency every second or so and then calculate the speed from there. I don't see why you want to use an Arduino if the device does all that by itself. Well I guess you should have your reasons.
Good Luck.

Perseverance is 90% of the solution. The remaining 10% is more perseverance.

View Profile

Thanks for your answer. You are right it is working pretty well without any influence. But i want something to happen if the measured speed is to high. I thought of a flashlight and a foto or a audio warning. But don't worry i am not using it on cars...

Maybe the easier way to get a speed signal out of it is to read out the display?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: