Go Down

Topic: Arduino Uno on AA batteries (Read 431 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi,

I'm working on a really simple project teaching kids to code with the Arduino Uno (gotta be better than learning Office, right?!). They've built a basic fade app and would like to make a "magic egg" - a blown egg over an LED to diffuse the light, and a hidden battery pack in a "nest" of paper.

Should be easy, I said. (first mistake!)

However, I've bought a 6 x AA batteries holder (which can make 7.2 V rechargeable battery pack from NiMH / NiCd cells or 9V battery pack from alkaline cells, apparently),filled it with duracell AA's and plugged it in to the power jack (which steps down the power, right?) - no LED light. It doesn't fry the LED, just doesn't go.

Having replaced the batteries a few times, can I conclude that the cheapy ebay adaptor (second mistake!) here -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140941895155?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 doesn't work, or is there a step I'm missing?

Many thanks for your help,
Marie

DVDdoug

May 09, 2013, 12:54 am Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:57 am by DVDdoug Reason: 1
That should work fine...

I'd guess the connector might be wired backwards.    Typically the inside of the barrel-connector is positive (and that's what's needed for the Arduino), but there's no solid-rule and power supplies come both ways.

Do you have a multimeter?    ...Probably a good thing to have in your teaching-situation.    You can buy one online for around $20 USD. 

You can also make a little tester with an LED & resistor.  (The LED won't come-on if it's connected backwards, and you can compare the polarity of the battery with your regular power supply.)    I have a little tester I made with a probe (something like this), a couple of different-color LEDs (one for each direction) and an alligator clip.   But for a quick-and-dirty tester for your battery power-supply, you can just solder a resistor & LED in series.

Or you might simply have a bad solder connection, or the barrel-connector might be the wrong size.   (If it's the wrong size it would probably work when you wiggle it around.)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy