Go Down

Topic: Integrating with existing home security system (Read 937 times) previous topic - next topic

nicmatth

I'd like to hook my arduino up to my existing home security system so that I can monitor and control it from the web.  I've got a computer systems degree so in school I did some work with micro-controllers and circuits as well as programming.  I don't know the best approach to figure out pinouts, reverse engineer the communication protocols, and where to look for existing information on similar projects. Since it is an active security system I'm a bit leery about just sending different signals to see what works.

I figure I'll need a multimeter at the least. I'm hoping the signals aren't particularly complex - if they are what's the best way to approach it? The unit is a Broadview (ADT) board. I'd like to basically just make the touch panel inside my house available from the web. I think I can handle the web security consequences of doing that.

What's the best way to start this project? I haven't found anything similar.

PaulS

The unit is a Broadview (ADT) board.

You know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"? Well, here it's "a link is worth a thousand (or more) words".

What, exactly, do you mean by "monitor and control it"? Monitor is pretty clear, but control is not. You want to emulate a break in and see what happens? That's one form of control. Probably not the one you had in mind.

zoomkat

What's the best way to start this project? I haven't found anything similar.

Well, info on the home security equipment is sometimes hard to come by due to "security" issues.  8) That being said, in the past there were sources on the net that had scanned and other sourced installation/repair manuals for various systems. Try google or home security forums.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

Nick Gammon

Well, info on the home security equipment is sometimes hard to come by due to "security" issues. 

Which is rather amusing, because the best security systems are ones that are well-documented, and thus subject to peer-review, as Bruce Schneier is fond of telling people. One thing and one thing only should be a secret: the key.

As for controlling your system, that shouldn't be too hard if you identify (say) a switch on the front panel that does something. Just get a relay to "pretend" to push that switch.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

zoomkat

Which is rather amusing, because the best security systems are ones that are well-documented, and thus subject to peer-review, as Bruce Schneier is fond of telling people. One thing and one thing only should be a secret: the key.

The secutity around the system manuals is not necessairly to prevent breakins, but to keep non company persons from working on the equipment. The equipment and install is often "free" with a monitoring contract qnd similar. When the contract is exipred or abandoned the company does not want the equipment to be put back in service by others. Kind of like "jail breaking" a cell phone.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

nicmatth

You know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"? Well, here it's "a link is worth a thousand (or more) words".

What, exactly, do you mean by "monitor and control it"? Monitor is pretty clear, but control is not. You want to emulate a break in and see what happens? That's one form of control. Probably not the one you had in mind.

To start, basically a web ui that would duplicate the possible physical actions and lights. Enter a key code, enable/disable the alarm, trigger an emergency call, etc.  If that all works great, maybe I'll do some cooler things.

If I grabbed a picture of the circuit would that help?  There weren't any obvious model numbers or anything I could see. There are some +/- terminals for the relay circuits and then some additional terminals for the panels.  The more I think about it, there are only a few terminals for the panels, so it most likely would be some type of encoded signal.

I did a pretty fair amount of googling and didn't find anything like this.

Two things would help - the information on how to reverse engineer an encoded signal, and also some places where people might already be doing these things. The technician manual would be awesome, because I basically would like to jailbreak it, but I'm fine with keeping the contract and just extending what it can do.

Go Up