Go Down

Topic: Connect a Saitek x52 stick to arduino to ouput PPM for RC flight (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I read a couple project to use a PC joystick to control RC aircraft and I want to do it.

Here are the 2 example by Ian Johnston

First one Version 2 is nice but your joystick dont work with your PC anymore :

version 3 is better and use a USB host shield, allowing you to keep your stick for PC gaming:

The usb version is nice when you have a small compact joystick ... My problem is the x52 is a huge joystick with 2 module the throttle with the lcd and the stick. Because its too big for the field I want to use only the Stick module only and add a thottle pot to it but I want to keep my joystick in working condition for my PC.

I open up the joystick and take a look inside, the USB chip is in the throttle module (Cy7C64515-6lfxc) so I cant use a usb host shield to interface with the stick if the throttle is remove, only 6 wire is going to the stick module  ( VCC,Ground,CO1,CO2,CO3,CO4) those are the name on the connector in the stick module.

Those 6 pin are connected in the stick module to a unkown 64 pin IC cover with epoxy (I can see the 1 upper left and 32 bottom right print into the board) On that unkown IC I can see 4 pad mark as Pin2 ,3 ,53 and 54. Im a noob in electronic but because of the name CO1 and COL1 print at some place ( Column 1) this probably a ADC chip right ?

SO this unkown chip sending CO1,CO2,CO3,CO4 to the usb chip (Cy7C64515) : Co1 to pin56 , co2 to pin55 ,co3 to pin43 and co4 to pin 35

Its there a way to intercept those Column from the unkown IC So I can simply hook the arduino to that 6 pin connector from the stick and get the Pot/Hall and button input?

I only have a multimeter right now but I can borrow a oscilloscope if needed to go forward. Im a noob in electronics and this is above my level but im willing to learn and make this work.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131