Go Down

Topic: String Object and memory (Read 80 times) previous topic - next topic

mistergreen

Feb 22, 2015, 06:17 am Last Edit: Feb 22, 2015, 06:18 am by mistergreen
I believe the String object uses malloc to create varying lengths of characters?
If so, is there a way to free() the object when it's not needed anymore?

Memory management on Strings would be good.

Delta_G

Not using the String class on a microcontroller would be even better.  You gotta give up some of those crutches when you move from a full blown computer with gigabytes of RAM to a micro with 2K.

There's nothing that can be done with the String class that can't be done just as well with a char array.  The only difference is that the char array won't potentially crash your program due to poor memory management.

Nick Gammon

If you change a string, I imagine the old memory is discarded and new memory allocated. Thus, the old memory is freed. However this may lead to heap fragmentation. If you are worried about memory I suggest you don't use String at all.
Please post technical questions on the forum, not by personal message. Thanks!

More info:
http://www.gammon.com.au/electronics

mistergreen

Yeah, I don't use String but I was going to make a tutorial for beginners and decided to use String so it's easier to understand so it got me thinking on how to it eats up memory and if it ever gets freed at all unless we manually free it somehow.

MarkT

Feb 22, 2015, 02:56 pm Last Edit: Feb 22, 2015, 02:57 pm by MarkT
The memory management of all class objects in C++ including String is done via
new and delete operators (which are often implicitly called by the compiler as things
go out of scope etc).  If you look inside the Arduino runtime you'll find in new.h and new.cpp
that new and delete map directly to malloc and free.

In older versions of the String class there were bugs in some of the String operations
that caused memory leaks (to do with the management of the char [] array used internally
I believe).  As I understand it the class is now free from space leaks like this, but I wouldn't
necessarily trust it (!).

Whatever you do don't call free() on a C++ class object, that's just asking for a double
free bug.  Reserve malloc and free for dynamically allocated C structs and arrays if you
have to use them.

On a machine with only 2k of RAM like the Uno the profligate use of dynamic memory
allocation can result in unreliable code as there is no guarantee the sketch won't
trample its stack at some random point, and explicit checking for low memory is a bit
tedious (though possible).  Statically pre-allocating storage is a more robust strategy,
ie the opposite of best practice for code on a general purpose computer with GB of RAM!
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy