Go Down

Topic: Ethernet and UDP, correct connection practice (Read 249 times) previous topic - next topic

doug metzler

Hello, On an Arduino Ethernet I've got a remote sensor app that connects to the internet once a day to get the time from a time server, then once a week posts the sensor readings.

My question is about correct connection practices and, unfortunately, I don't know that much about the inner workings of network transport.

So all the sample code I've found puts these two lines:

Code: [Select]

if (Ethernet.begin(mac))
  {
    if (Udp.begin(localPort))

in the setup and then makes the various network calls in the loop.  But I think that assumes constant use of the connection.  My use of the connection is once a week and, after a few days, my connections fail.

Ideally I'd like to have an Ethernet.end and a Udp.end so I can put the .begin and .end in the loop at the time I want to make the connection, but those calls aren't available.

Can you please tell me what the proper method is to make a connection once a day and ensure that the connection does not fail?

I can post more code here if you'd like.

Thank you,

DougM

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy