Go Down

Topic: RGB LED Matrix spread over 400 square feet (43 square meters) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Headroom

What would be the viewing distance and viewing angle or in other words would the LED panel be installed vertically ?
What are the viewing environment be dark and indoors or outside in bright daylight ?

The above at a minimum will determine what output your light sources will need to generate.

Given the size of the project one could easily assume that you won't get away with small 20mA LEDs but need something that has more light output. Of course your project is technically feasible. That is really not the question!

The question really is what are your time and budget constraints ?

PeterH

What sort of power are you expecting each LED 'pixel' to have? From the physical size I guess that these will be viewed from a long way away and would need a considerable amount of power for those tiny specs of light to be visible.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Grumpy_Mike

Would it be easier with just red, green, blue? How about one color

I told you before primary and secondary colours are easy.
Red, Green, Blue are the additive primary colours,
Yellow, Cyan, Magenta are the additive secondary colours. All involve just on and off with no dimming.

GoForSmoke

Don't forget white (all on) and black (all off).
But as long as you're doing it, PWM is high speed on/off with controlled time for each -- you can make any apparent color you want.

Why RGB leds when you can get high power red, green and blue leds cheaper and cluster them in 3's? Same number of connects but each with its own heat sink. much more practical.

As to module intelligence, stand-alone AVR chips are far cheaper than a full board per unit. You will need power and ground commons at least 12V with such wire lengths and leds not so far from any one controller that low V signals affect your lights. You don't have to use radio, it would easier is all, bluetooth modules can be found for less than $10 each nowadays. For something with 1000 -bright- points of RGB you will be spending a good bit anyway so you might as well get it right.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

cmorlotte

What would be the viewing distance and viewing angle or in other words would the LED panel be installed vertically ?
What are the viewing environment be dark and indoors or outside in bright daylight ?

It's a vertical installation, indoors with lights on. The viewing distance should be short, in the 6 feet (2 meters) range.

The thing is I can't rig the whole thing from scratch. I just don't have the knowledge, so I thought there might be a way to modify something already on the market, like the links I provided at the top. Time is not an issue, but this is a personal project and definitely I am not willing to spend thousands of dollars.

To maybe provide a better picture, imagine one of those old maps used to learn geography that had light bulbs on each state or country. A bulb comes on and you have to identify the location.

I need something similar, ideally with colors, and I thought it would be easier to control with a computer, as I would need to input individual addresses or a group of them, let's say I can turn on/off B23 or turn on/off B23, D18, G8, J15, A2. 

Go Up