Go Down

Topic: Pulsing a pwm output for motor control. (Read 198 times) previous topic - next topic

I want to control a geared DC motor for a wire feeder.
I want to use PWM to control the speed and I need to be able to significantly adjust the pwm frequency.
I also want to pulse it on/off at adjustable intervals (eg wait on for 2 seconds, off for 3 seconds, or on for 0.2 sec off for 1 second).
Ideally, I'd like to use a few buttons and a 20x4 LCD to set and display the current settings.
The settings should be saved on EEPROM so when circuit is switched off and on, they are still there.

I thought it would be relatively simple to do, but when I realised the delay command messes all other timings, it got complicated.

I would be open to using a large stepper instead of the geared 24v motor, but i dont know how easy it would be to fit into machine (might be easy, i suppose).

I have no specific questions at the moment, but I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.
I'm using arduino mega 2560, but will probably put it on a arduino micro in the end.

Thanks for your time.

Michael.

Henry_Best

I want to control a geared DC motor for a wire feeder.
I want to use PWM to control the speed and I need to be able to significantly adjust the pwm frequency.

With PWM, you usually adjust the pulse width and keep the frequency the same. The Arduino gives a range of widths from 0 (Off) to 255 (Fully on). Is that 'significant' enough for you?
I thought it would be relatively simple to do, but when I realised the delay command messes all other timings, it got complicated.
Embrace the concept used in 'Blink Without Delay.'
I would be open to using a large stepper instead of the geared 24v motor, but i dont know how easy it would be to fit into machine (might be easy, i suppose).
That would be for you to determine, as we can't see your machine.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy