Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Pulsing a pwm output for motor control.  (Read 156 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I want to control a geared DC motor for a wire feeder.
I want to use PWM to control the speed and I need to be able to significantly adjust the pwm frequency.
I also want to pulse it on/off at adjustable intervals (eg wait on for 2 seconds, off for 3 seconds, or on for 0.2 sec off for 1 second).
Ideally, I'd like to use a few buttons and a 20x4 LCD to set and display the current settings.
The settings should be saved on EEPROM so when circuit is switched off and on, they are still there.

I thought it would be relatively simple to do, but when I realised the delay command messes all other timings, it got complicated.

I would be open to using a large stepper instead of the geared 24v motor, but i dont know how easy it would be to fit into machine (might be easy, i suppose).

I have no specific questions at the moment, but I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.
I'm using arduino mega 2560, but will probably put it on a arduino micro in the end.

Thanks for your time.

Michael.

London
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I want to control a geared DC motor for a wire feeder.
I want to use PWM to control the speed and I need to be able to significantly adjust the pwm frequency.
With PWM, you usually adjust the pulse width and keep the frequency the same. The Arduino gives a range of widths from 0 (Off) to 255 (Fully on). Is that 'significant' enough for you?
I thought it would be relatively simple to do, but when I realised the delay command messes all other timings, it got complicated.
Embrace the concept used in 'Blink Without Delay.'
I would be open to using a large stepper instead of the geared 24v motor, but i dont know how easy it would be to fit into machine (might be easy, i suppose).
That would be for you to determine, as we can't see your machine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: