Go Down

Topic: Super NESduino (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Nelsyv

Can't you just burn the Arduino bootloader to any microcontroller though? I'm pretty sure there are microcontrollers out there with that kind of RAM and clock speed. I don't think the hardware limitations are very limiting if you just use a non-Arduino controller, unless I misunderstand the versatility available.
Give a man a wiring diagram, he builds for a day. Teach him how to make his own, and he builds until he runs out of parts :P

James C4S

Can't you just burn the Arduino bootloader to any microcontroller though?

Sure as long as it is one of the 3 types of microcontrollers Arduino bootloaders exist for.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

djjoshuad

I agree with James, wrong project for an AVR Arduino, but it *could* be possible with a Due.  That assumes you're willing to write a crapload of code.  A Raspberry Pi would be a much better choice and it's very similar in size to an Arduino Uno.  In fact, there are existing SNES emulators that could be pretty easily compiled to work without you having to write any code at all.

James C4S

Jan 31, 2013, 03:24 am Last Edit: Jan 31, 2013, 03:36 am by James C4S Reason: 1

I agree with James, wrong project for an AVR Arduino, but it *could* be possible with a Due.

Emulating a system with 128k of RAM in a microcontroller with 40k 96k of RAM would be interesting.

Of course the Due's SAM3 does support an external memory chip, but you'd have to design a custom board to support it.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

djjoshuad

The "official" Due ships with 96k and I assumed he would need to add at least another 32k, but some of the clones are being given more.  RasPi is still a significantly better choice but he wanted to use an Arduino ;)

Go Up