Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
Author Topic: USPS out to kill hobby shipping  (Read 5485 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Look at this - USPS just raised rates for flat rate shipping of small boxes by $7!
Was $16.95, now $23.95.

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=13

And yet iteadstudio can send me a set of cards via registered US Airmail for $8.

Gonna have to see if small padded envelopes are any cheaper ...

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

WTF USPS!   
Not even an advance warning. 40% to 54% increase!

BTW, Thanks Crossroads for this headsup. I need to raise my shipping rates ASAP!

Toledo, OH
View Profile

Look at this - USPS just raised rates for flat rate shipping of small boxes by $7!
Was $16.95, now $23.95.

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=13&p=0&o=1&mt=13

And yet iteadstudio can send me a set of cards via registered US Airmail for $8.

Gonna have to see if small padded envelopes are any cheaper ...

We should privatize the post office and normalize the salaries of the lazy employees.  We have MANY shipping options now, there's no need for a government postal service.  I'm sure Ron Paul would agree.

Tim

Arduino Uno - Teensy 2.0 - Teensy 3.0 - Raspberry Pi Model B w/512MB RAM
My libraries: NewPing library - LCDBitmap library - toneAC library - NewTone library

View Profile

Their pension costs are out of control. That's what's killing them.

I am just so mad about this. I didn't expect increases will be this large for International shipping. 40 to 50+%%% WTF. This will affect my International sales. FUUUCCCKK!!!

Toledo, OH
View Profile

Their pension costs are out of control. That's what's killing them.

Exactly!  Eventually, everyone will vote conservative, once they're no longer ignorant.

Just went to the PO today.  SLOW, FAT, LAZY... And probably make twice I do, with a pension when I get ZERO pension.  Yet, they work for ME?  Insanity!  You liberals out there can BITE ME! ;-)

Tim

Arduino Uno - Teensy 2.0 - Teensy 3.0 - Raspberry Pi Model B w/512MB RAM
My libraries: NewPing library - LCDBitmap library - toneAC library - NewTone library

Edison Member
View Profile

Eventually, everyone will vote conservative, once they're no longer ignorant.

One way to defeat an unsustainable scheme is to expand it as fast as possible, so it collapses quickly.

Maine
Caution: Explosives in use.
View Profile

#@$!, I have two ready-to-ship international orders. There goes my margin.

Also, I see the propaganda machines are working in full force. "Something bad happened, quick, find a way to blame it on the other guys!"

The key is misdirection, Stanley.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 11:09:25 am by wizdum » Logged

"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

This is great news, undoubtedly we'll all be getting 40% increases too!  Woohoo! smiley-yell

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I'm not aware of the pension issue but definitely don't see my local PO workers lazy. They face a long line of customers and always handle business professionally. I just wish they open for more hours on Saturdays. During the middle of a business day, that joint is filled with people (lots seem to be small business shippers).

Guys/gals in USA, do you know about the USPS regional rate boxes? Post offices don't always carry them but you can order them at USPS.com free of charge and free shipping. Isn't that what's great about USPS, free priority/express supplies? Regional rate box rate is cheaper especially for me since I'm in the middle (longitude, not latitude). Purchase postage on USPS.com for regional rate box. I can ship a decent amount of stuff in regional rate box A for $5+ while the flat rate small box can only fit a couple of tooth picks. I hate how the small box closes too.

For international shipping, done that a lot. Hate the rates. No way to insure except for express mail at like $30 a pop. I'm not made of money.

CrossRoads, get a box of 250 bubble mailers from the place you got the really useful boxes. It's the cheapest I can find but you will need some extra wide tape.

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/search.do?Ntt=bubble+mailer+pack+of+250

I think I have the 6*10. Use the officedepot coupon to get a deal. PM me if you can't find any coupon. I also bought a digital scale off ebay so I know exactly how much padding I can add to not get to the next ounce.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Updates: Shipped a 1 oz envelop to New Zealand, $6.55 Wasnt this expnsive before.
Priority small box is $6, not $7. Does the rate depend on region?

Worcester, MA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

@CrossRoads
If you're shipping a lot of items Internationally I recommend dumping the International Priority option.  International Priority has been nothing but a head ache to me as the package is not insured, the tracking information is not valid once the package leaves the US and it's not really any faster than First Class International.  I would switch to something like Stamps.com and send everything International First Class Mail and insure the package.  Through the Post Office, you can't insure International First Class but through Stamps.com you can.  The cost is based off item price and is usually only a few bucks.  So you can now ship something overseas, insured for usually around 7 bucks. 

I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Thanks Wayne, will look into stamps.com

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

I have to disagree though on the Priority shipping for INTL customers. To me, they're more reliable than First Class mail. I'd pick Priority Mail over First Class.

The tracking # is helpful, and while it doesn't offer detailed tracking once it leaves the country, it can still be traced if it got lost or delayed.  Just need to call USPS and they''ll start a trace/conduct an investigation/request status from the receiving country if it's been delayed for more than 10 days and recipient still hasn't received it. .... and more likely the package will be returned to you if it's undeliverable!

If after a trace, USPS still can't find the package and your package in insured, you get a check $$$ from USPS (after filing a claim).

First Class Mail is "hope to god it doesn't get lost" shipping. If you're just shipping something worth a few dollars, it may be worth the risk but when I'm shipping anywhere from $300 to $1000 worth of stuff out the country, I just couldn't take that risk.

I understand USPS needs to raise rates. But my beef with this is the amount of increase ... almost 60% for Flat Rate Priority Small package. That's nuts.

@Crossroads. I use Endicia.com, you may want to check them out also. It runs natively on OSX too.

View Profile

Here you go.... in black and white.

* flatrates.png (45.6 KB, 694x301 - viewed 29 times.)

Worcester, MA
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

You're partially correct.  The USPS only offers trace and insurance options on Medium Flat Rate and up boxes.  Neither is offered on the Small Flat Rate Box/Envelope (I found this out the hard way after one went missing and I called the main PO and went to my local).  Plus when you use Stamps.com (Endicia also I'm sure) you'll get free delivery confirmation tracking on the package while it's in the US just as you would with the Small Flat Rate box.

I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
Jump to: