Go Down

Topic: Controller PC fans 3-Pin vs 4-Pin (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I want to make a fan controller using Arduino. I can control the fan using PWM on the 3-Pin connectors but the problem I am having is the frequency noise coming from the fan is just a little too annoying. I am wondering exactly what drives the fans and what can I do to eliminate the noise.

I believe the 4 pin connectors have a pin assigned for the PWM signal, I just haven't experimented with it yet.

Note: I am using a mosfet IRF540N to drive the fan.

Yes, the 4-pin fans have a PWM input, which can be driven from an Arduino using a small signal NPN transistor, a small signal N-channel mosfet, or even just a diode. The PWM frequency is supposed to be 25KHz, which can be generated from timer 1 or 2 on a Uno if you don't need to use the other PWM pin on the same timer for PWM.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

I've notice on the 3 pin fans, if you change the voltage you can changes the speed. is there a way I can implement that with the arduino?

I think I am going to try to use an RC Low pass filter.

Filter worked and change some stuff with timing worked great.
I am using the mega 2560

Instead of using the define PWM pins, I am wondering if I can use any digital pin as PWM?
Code: [Select]

int fan = 12;
int dT = 500;//uS

void setup()
  pinMode(fan, OUTPUT);
void loop()
  digitalWrite(fan, LOW);
  digitalWrite(fan, HIGH);

has anyone played around with this?
Are there any libraries?
Can I achieve high frequencies by doing it this way or will have have issues?

Feb 23, 2013, 04:06 am Last Edit: Feb 23, 2013, 10:10 am by dewy721 Reason: 1
I don't know if the topic is still live or not but making an Arduino multi-channel fan controller has already been done, it gets the temp readings from the PC's on-board temp sensors.

The post covers 2,3 and 4 wire fans as well as the differences of how to use a 3.3v vs 5v Arduino for the controller. Even RGB programmable LEDS are supported as an addon option.

If anyone is interested the post can be found at http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=65801&p=571959#p571959

If you would like more of a basic howto guide I posted one on my blog.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131