Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: AtMega32L using Arduino UNO as ISP  (Read 1273 times)
the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Quote from: cancelliere on Today at 02:12:33 PM
Since I am not uploading anything to the board, but I'm just trying to communicate to it, I haven't selected anything.
You named this thread "AtMega32L using Arduino UNO as ISP". Therefore, I assumed you had
(a) burned the ArduinoISP sketch into the UNO, and were (b) trying to burn the bootloader into
the 32L chip. If that is correct, then you need to select a target board to burn the bootloader.

If you have already burned the bootloader into the 32L chip, then you still need to select the
correct target board to upload a sketch to the 32L.

But like I said, I don't even see a target board selection for using a 32L chip. Are you sure it's a
32L, and not 328 or 32U4 or 324 or something else? Plus, looking around, I can't even find a
bootloader version for the 32L chip.

View Profile

Quote from: cancelliere on Today at 02:12:33 PM
Since I am not uploading anything to the board, but I'm just trying to communicate to it, I haven't selected anything.
You named this thread "AtMega32L using Arduino UNO as ISP". Therefore, I assumed you had
(a) burned the ArduinoISP sketch into the UNO, and were (b) trying to burn the bootloader into
the 32L chip. If that is correct, then you need to select a target board to burn the bootloader.

If you have already burned the bootloader into the 32L chip, then you still need to select the
correct target board to upload a sketch to the 32L.

But like I said, I don't even see a target board selection for using a 32L chip. Are you sure it's a
32L, and not 328 or 32U4 or 324 or something else? Plus, looking around, I can't even find a
bootloader version for the 32L chip.

Here it says:
Not using a bootloader
If you want to use the full program space (flash) of the chip or avoid the bootloader delay, you can burn your sketches using an external programmer.
So I assume that by using my Arduino Uno as ISP, I don't need to upload any bootloaders to the ATMega.

The ATMega32L is the same as ATMega32, but it can work with a lower voltage.

View Profile

I've added to the circuit a 14.318 MHz crystal oscillator with the 2x22 pF capacitors and now the ATMega works.
Code:
sudo avrdude -c avrisp -p atmega32 -b 19200 -P /dev/ttyACM0

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.12s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9502

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK

avrdude done.  Thank you.

the land of sun+snow
Faraday Member
View Profile

So, then I take it, you are using something other than the Arduino IDE to compile the code,
since the IDE has no selection for the 32. I guess that answers a lot of unanswered questions.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: