Go Down

Topic: Moving digital input wire causes signal (wire isn't connected to anything) (Read 569 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm new to Arduino and seem to be having a strange situation. I set digital pin 8 on my uno for input, and when I have a wire inserted into it (other end isn't even connected to anything), it's sending a signal when I move the wire.

Is my Arduino defective or is this something that I'm just completely unaware of? The bottom of the Arduino is sitting on a piece of rubber so I know there's nothing below it to conduct to. Like I said, the other end of the wire isn't even attached to anything. Simply wiggling the wire causes it to send a signal as if the bottom is grounding. It does this for any of the inputs I set it to.

So, is this normal or am I just not aware of how inputs actually function?

So, is this normal or am I just not aware of how inputs actually function?

Yes that is normal. You are seeing the effects of a 'floating input pin' condition. You don't even need to add a wire to see the effects, just do a continuous digitalRead() on an input pin with nothing connected to it and it will return 1 and 0 values randomly due to noise. That is why when wiring up to simple switch contacts one must utilize external pull-up or pull-down resistors (or enable the internal optional pull-up for the pin) so that when the button is not being pressed and it's contacts are open there is still a valid voltage (either ground or +5vdc through a resistor) seen by the input pin. An input pin with nothing wired to it is not presented with a valid input voltage to sense so it goes insane and just lies to you if you try and read it's value.

That make sense.

Thanks, I just had my roommate take a look at it (he's a computer engineer), and he knew exactly what you were talking about. I didn't have it set as a pull-down resistor, so my room mate swapped it for me and now it works perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131