Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: [Solved] - Light Bi-Color LED with 2 Pins? = Yes  (Read 744 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.   I have a simple question regarding a Bi-color LED (Red/Green) with only 2 pins.

I am pretty sure the LED package contains 2 LEDs in opposite directions that will light up depending on the direction of current flow.

My question is, can I use 2 pins from a microcontroller to act as a ground and positive at different times?  Green sometimes, Red at others?

Next question is the resistor..  Doesn't the resistor usually go on the side going to ground...  I guess it would be fine if the resistor is on the positive side as well?

Does this make sense?   2 color LED with 2 pins...   the pins would sometimes be positive and sometimes be negative depending on what color (red / green) I want.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:04:06 am by Eddiie » Logged

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Yes.
Both Hi, or both Lo, neither is on.
Hi/Lo and Lo/Hi lights up one or the other.
Single series resistor need, does not matter which side of the LED pair.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Ah, of course.

Thank you!

The Netherlands
Edison Member
View Profile

Switch fast between red and green and you'll see yellow and so have a third color at your dispence.

Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: