Go Down

Topic: Rotary potentiometer with steps/positions (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

retrolefty

It doesn't work.

I agree in your mind it doesn't work. In my mind I can make it work perfectly. You seem to thinking turning among the options offered is the same as selecting an option, there is always another user action required to select the displayed option.  Lets leave it at that.

Lefty

Docedison

Feb 01, 2013, 04:31 pm Last Edit: Feb 01, 2013, 04:35 pm by Docedison Reason: 1
It works perfectly... providing that you choose to save the previous state so re entry places you at the position you exited at. Positional feedback must be from the visual display and not the knob. You don't read the knob you use the knob to read... Regardless of what the knob really is, rotary encoder, pot or rotary switch. Using a rotary encoder is probably the best move as it doesn't have the 270  deg rotational limitation of a pot or the mechanical stops that most rotary switches do.
{Edit RKJ}

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Boopidoo

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. For me I guess a normal pot would be ok since I only need to. Switch between 2-3 pages.

Now the next question. Can I use a digital (pwm) pin for this? This can be made to know what position the pot is right or do I need an analog pin?

What type of pin should I use for a rotary encoder?

retrolefty

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. For me I guess a normal pot would be ok since I only need to. Switch between 2-3 pages.

Now the next question. Can I use a digital (pwm) pin for this? This can be made to know what position the pot is right or do I need an analog pin?

What type of pin should I use for a rotary encoder?

A digital pin used in PWM service is an output pin, it could not be used to 'read' anything. Reading something is an inputting function for your arduino board. An analog pin must be used to read a pot because a pot is only capable of generating a variable DC output voltage to be wired to a analog input pin. A rotary encoder needs to use two digital input pins and depending if you want to use interrupts to service the encoder or not you may be limited to using digital pins 2 and/or 3.

Lefty

Boopidoo

Ah, of course, thanks!

I think I might need to buy a Mega since I'm running out of pins. :)

Go Up