Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Author Topic: Rotary potentiometer with steps/positions  (Read 3011 times)
Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

and detent positioning that doesn't always seem to line up with the electrical signal transition positions.
Most I have used only pass through the transition electrically when passing through it mechanically. When the control is sitting at rest the output is always the same.

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

What inputs will you be providing on the submenus? When using a rotary encoder, I generally use the built-in push button to cycle between different parameters or submenus, and the rotary motion to adjust the selected parameter.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

and detent positioning that doesn't always seem to line up with the electrical signal transition positions.
Most I have used only pass through the transition electrically when passing through it mechanically. When the control is sitting at rest the output is always the same.

I found that I could force encoder steps just by applying slight pressure against the encoder knob without having to go through a detent click. Not at all positions and not all the time, but it just didn't have the precision feel and operation of the optical encoder I have. Like I said it could be made usable but I found them to be rather flimsy in actual operation.
Lefty

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

What inputs will you be providing on the submenus? When using a rotary encoder, I generally use the built-in push button to cycle between different parameters or submenus, and the rotary motion to adjust the selected parameter.

The same, either a switch with a built in momentary push switch or a separate momentary switch to select the displayed menu option.

Lefty

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

I found that I could force encoder steps just by applying slight pressure against the encoder knob without having to go through a detent click. Not at all positions and not all the time, but it just didn't have the precision feel and operation of the optical encoder I have. Like I said it could be made usable but I found them to be rather flimsy in actual operation.

I have one encoder in which one of the transitions occurs more or less at the same position as the detent. My rotary encoder driver software has a 1-state hyteresis to make it insensitive to this. Every encoder I have purchased since has the state transitions away from the detent. The problem encoder has 16 detents/rev, whereas now I go for 8 or 12.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Jump to: