Go Down

Topic: Burning a boot loader (Arduino as isp) (Read 517 times) previous topic - next topic

CyberLink1

I am trying to burn the boot loader onto a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Arduino Nano. I garbed one to play with and it has been giving me issues so it may be the board itself. The knockoff has a 328P-AU processor on it.

I am using an Arduino pro mini at the isp and have everything wired up. It was giving all kinds of check errors when I tried to burn the boot loader so I switched over to command line and used the -F option.

This is the command I am using.
Code: [Select]

/mnt/Disk3/home/cl/bin/arduino-1.6.3/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/mnt/Disk3/home/cl/bin/arduino-1.6.3/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDA:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m -F

It fails to burn it and gives the following error

Code: [Select]

avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (b) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x01
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x98c312
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10

That device signature does not exist in the avrdude.conf file. I can not even find anything close to it.

I may just toss this board as junk but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can get it to burn a new boot loader?

DrAzzy

-c arduino not stk500

Don't use -F, figure out why it's giving the errors and fix that!

Put a 1 uf capacitor between Reset and Ground on the board running the ArduinoAsISP sketch to clobber autoreset, which can cause problems with ArduinoAsISP
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

CyberLink1

Thanks for the info.

NOTE: the arduino IDE uses -c stk500v1 as the option when you tell it to burn the boot loader. However, I tried it with -c arduino as you suggested and it did not make a difference.

The strange thing is, after setting it back to stk500v1 it took it and programed the unit. I then went on and did two others.

No clue why it just started working.

Go Up