Go Down

Topic: Burning a boot loader (Arduino as isp) (Read 238 times) previous topic - next topic

CyberLink1

I am trying to burn the boot loader onto a cheap Chinese knockoff of the Arduino Nano. I garbed one to play with and it has been giving me issues so it may be the board itself. The knockoff has a 328P-AU processor on it.

I am using an Arduino pro mini at the isp and have everything wired up. It was giving all kinds of check errors when I tried to burn the boot loader so I switched over to command line and used the -F option.

This is the command I am using.
Code: [Select]

/mnt/Disk3/home/cl/bin/arduino-1.6.3/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avrdude -C/mnt/Disk3/home/cl/bin/arduino-1.6.3/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/ttyUSB0 -b19200 -e -Ulock:w:0x3F:m -Uefuse:w:0x05:m -Uhfuse:w:0xDA:m -Ulfuse:w:0xFF:m -F

It fails to burn it and gives the following error

Code: [Select]

avrdude: stk500_initialize(): (b) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x01
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x98c312
avrdude: Expected signature for ATmega328P is 1E 95 0F
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x10

That device signature does not exist in the avrdude.conf file. I can not even find anything close to it.

I may just toss this board as junk but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I can get it to burn a new boot loader?

DrAzzy

-c arduino not stk500

Don't use -F, figure out why it's giving the errors and fix that!

Put a 1 uf capacitor between Reset and Ground on the board running the ArduinoAsISP sketch to clobber autoreset, which can cause problems with ArduinoAsISP
ATtiny core for 841+1634+828 and x313/x4/x5/x61/x7/x8 series Board Manager:
http://drazzy.com/package_drazzy.com_index.json
ATtiny breakouts (some assembled), mosfets and awesome prototyping board in my store http://tindie.com/stores/DrAzzy

CyberLink1

Thanks for the info.

NOTE: the arduino IDE uses -c stk500v1 as the option when you tell it to burn the boot loader. However, I tried it with -c arduino as you suggested and it did not make a difference.

The strange thing is, after setting it back to stk500v1 it took it and programed the unit. I then went on and did two others.

No clue why it just started working.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy