Go Down

Topic: Using mega2560 as a ftdi breakout board (Read 893 times) previous topic - next topic

foolix

Hi there,

I have a need to program an separate gps device using an application on PC over serial/ftdi, can I use the mega 2560 as a ftdi breakout board rather than buying a separate one? I tried a search buy couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance

CrossRoads

?? 2560 doesn't have an FTDI chip.

You could try grounding the Reset pin on the header, and connecting to the Rx & Tx pins at the D0/D1 header, connect to Gnd also, using the ATmege16U2 as the USB/Serial adapter for your GPS device.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

foolix

Oh ok, damn. I just assumed that's what it was using for the usb... Looks like I'll just have to get one of these ;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FTDI-Basic-Breakout-Arduino-USB-TTL-6-PIN-3-3-5V-for-MWC-MultiWii-Lite-SE-/300854663806?pt=AU_Toys_Hobbies_Radio_Controlled_Vehicles&hash=item460c55da7e&_uhb=1#ht_6124wt_952

thx.

foolix

Is there a way I can just use the arduino as a usb to serial converter with the arduino effectively in series with the computer and target device?

Erni

Is there a way I can just use the arduino as a usb to serial converter with the arduino

As CrossRoads says:

Connect a jumperwire from reset to ground.

Just to be sure nothing bad happens to your Arduino you should first upload
an empty sketch to the UNO, and connect a 220 ohms resistor between The Uno and target device

Alternatively you can remove the Atmega from your Arduino

Docedison

The FTDI board you referenced is a really good product and a very nice price. I don't know the exact exchange rate but the part is under $3.00 US, a very good price and the solution to a lot of potential issues.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

Go Up