Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Hardware required for Project involving stepper motors among other things  (Read 215 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So i am planning on getting an arduino mega to run 2 24V stepper motors (bi-polar, 200 steps per rev - dont know what that means exactly)

Step angle is 1.8 degree
2 phases
1.2 A per phase
Dc resistance 13.5 Ohm +/- 10%
inductance per phase 6.4 mH  +/- 10%
max temp rise of 80*C

On a similar setup (that i am reverse engineering) there is a RAMPS 1.4 RepRap Mega Pololu A4988 extend shield and 3 A4988 w/ Heat sinks [this was running 3 12V stepper motors]

I will be looking to hook up some other items, but im not sure what type of shield i'd need, i will need to wire in my 24V power source, and i'm still new to arduino so any information is helpful information!

Thanks!

Faraday Member
View Profile

Step angle is 1.8 degree 
(bi-polar, 200 steps per rev - dont know what that means exactly) 
How many degrees in a revolution ?
Answer: 360
How many steps per revolution is a motor with a 1.8 degree step angle ?
360/1.8=200
Stepper motors are either bipolar, requiring two power sources or a switchable polarity power source, or unipolar, requiring only one power source. 

http://mechatronics.mech.northwestern.edu/design_ref/actuators/stepper_intro.html

2 phases   

On a similar setup (that i am reverse engineering) there is a RAMPS 1.4 RepRap Mega Pololu A4988 extend shield and 3 A4988 w/ Heat sinks [this was running 3 12V stepper motors]

I will be looking to hook up some other items, but im not sure what type of shield i'd need, i will need to wire in my 24V power source, and i'm still new to arduino so any information is helpful information! 

I don't see any question marks anywhere . Is there a question in here somewhere ?

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,
DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

View Profile

I appreciate the immediate feedback...

this: http://www.tigoe.net/pcomp/code/circuits/motors/stepper-motors/
led me to believe that if the motor has 4 wires it's bipolar, so im assuming its bi polar because my motor has 4 wires.

My question is what shield do i need? And do i need something like the Big Easy Driver, to drive and program code for my stepper motors?

The system im paralleling is the iduino from geeetech, mega pololu to be exact, and i have not seen an exact copy from the arduino side. 

UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

You say you have A4988 drivers in a similar setup so why not use them again in this case? The BigEasydriver uses an A4988 as far as I know, as does the Pololu A4988.

You don't need a "shield" unless it is a convenient way to connect the Arduino to the A4988 driver boards.

...R

Melbourne. Australia
God Member
Freelance software and hardware development based in Melbourne Australia
View Profile

Silly question, but why not just buy a ramps board kit including the mega 2560 and possibly the motors, e.g take a look on ebay there are plenty of suppliers.

I have a ramps based 3d printer that i built and its the ramps board and connection to the mega 2560 is robust and works well

It's probably worth posting a question to the reprap forum, as those guys are really helpful and could probably give you some advice on using the Ramps including operation on 24v and wiring.

View Profile

The similar setup I have is with iduino and im not sure how to write any programs with it. It seems like the stepper driver for the iduino is a bit different from the arduino stepper.

I did see a combo kit that I may get

Faraday Member
View Profile

What about this one ?
https://www.bananarobotics.com/shop/ITEAD-Dual-Stepper-Motor-Driver-Shield?gclid=CjkKEQjwqsCcBRDt7_Gts5a91YYBEiQAm-wYERxj1BkCnFONai1JcSD6ZUe6VfaKxaeoNl-qdTnVxszw_wcB

Arduino UNOs, Pro-Minis, ATMega328, ATtiny85, LCDs, MCP4162, keypads,
DS18B20s,74c922,nRF24L01, RS232, SD card, RC fixed wing, quadcopter

View Profile

Good stuff raschemmel!

I appreciate it!

can i ask you some questions about running a program for these stepper motors now too? Or am i pushing my luck hahaha

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: