Go Down

Topic: Arduino Network causing severe battery drain on WiFi connected devices. (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

SurferTim

This is probably the case if you use the Web interface for configuring things. But if you use the command line I haven't seen a device yet that automatically saves that in a non-volatile storage.

I have used many brands of routers, and now I use MikroTik routers. They work really well. I do not use the web interface. I am a CLI kinda guy. Here is a topic on another forum that describes what I do when I lock myself out of one of my remote routers:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29388&p=142934&hilit=curse#p142934
Without the serial cable, the router would be bricked.

Unless you are in safe mode, the changes are immediate and permanent.

pylon

Is that MikroTik router running Linux? It doesn't look like to me. If I change configuration file that are stored in the flash file system changes are permanent. But by just issuing commands to devices I just change a state and this state-change is volatile.

SurferTim

I believe it is a highly modified Linux, but that is really not the point. The OP stated that he changed a setting, and without saving anything, it kept that setting through a reboot. That is a good sign that it is saving that setting without a "save" command.

pylon

That's a good sign that it save it during a reboot but not on a power cycle. The commands I posted are standard Linux commands, none of them is saving anything. But the OP doesn't seem to be interested, so we're just loosing time here.

vincentmckenzie

Changes made are saved in a device mapped off /dev/nvram, which I assume is "Non-volatile RAM". All changes you make on this router are persistent even after a power cycle.

But yes, I don't want to waste anyone's time. I'm not comfortable messing around with this router like that, especially given the references to br0 in so many places.

If there's no way to fix it from the Arduino side I'll "borrow" a router from work and if that fixes it stick with that.

Seriously though - this thread has been very valuable to me, and I greatly appreciate everyone's help.

Go Up