Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Solenoid Artistic Function - Magnet and Glass Tube  (Read 1231 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I did not posted this therefore I never mentioned any dimensions of anything. The author was. If he wants to make the magnet "float" it needs to be about the same diameter to avoid spinning. By the way I wasn't answering to your post. I think I know now why Grumpy is in your name. Maybe a similar word beginning with J will describe you be better.

Mike,

This member is "brainstorming" in another post regarding specific gravity. He is insistent if not self-indulging at the same time. I am not certain he will understand the magnetic force on a magnetic dipole depends not on magnetic induction, but the gradient of it, which is lacking in the center of the solenoid. Varying current is not going to vary this gradient so much. If you are close to the solenoid opening, then you do have this gradient. You can shoot something with a solenoid but the op wants some control.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It would be awesome if this magnet had an led on it too.

Then I guess the magnet will also need a battery added to it to power the led?

I've seen some videos of trying to hold a magnet in mid air and be position controlled and it's pretty hard to just hold the magnet in one steady position, but wanting to be able to change it's position vertically it gets very unstable and difficult if not impossible to control. The magnetic forces involved are not linear so the 'tuning' parameters for the PID control loop are virtually impossible to optimize for smooth control.

Not saying it can't be done on some level, but so far many have failed to demonstrate a perfected example. But perhaps you will be successful anyway as sometimes the most likely to succeed are those that don't know what can't be done.  smiley-wink

Lefty
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:18:06 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Miami/Florida
View Profile

Mike,

This member is "brainstorming" in another post regarding specific gravity. He is insistent if not self-indulging at the same time. I am not certain he will understand the magnetic force on a magnetic dipole depends not on magnetic induction, but the gradient of it, which is lacking in the center of the solenoid. Varying current is not going to vary this gradient so much. If you are close to the solenoid opening, then you do have this gradient. You can shoot something with a solenoid but the op wants some control.

Sorry to tell you; but you keep having it wrong...
The magnet is a real object with physical dimensions. As a cylinder it has height and volume. Its not a plane. That height makes it occupy a real space inside the solenoid and the top and bottom faces of it are not coincident with the solenoid center as will the ideal physical model you are describing. There is gradient from the top to the bottom face. There is also a force called gravity which will be pulling the magnet down and that will keep it off center if no energy is supplied to stabilize it there. On the other hand I never mentioned the center. That's you own creation; but that's Ok the magnet will stay at any position if enough energy is supplied.
Please stay proffessional, your insults will not make your opinions prevail.

Perseverance is 90% of the solution. The remaining 10% is more perseverance.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Lefty,

Even pid would be difficult to change position. The force is not proportional to distance. If you just want to stabilize constant position then it is doable.

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

This does sound like a high energy project b/c I want the magnet to float.

I think you'll find that's quite hard to achieve, and if you're after that sort of thing I suggest you start off by leaving the glass out of the equation and go for a much smaller system.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

OP, sorry for diverting so much from your topic. If you want this without a wire pulling, you can consider air flow. Using air flowing from below into a pipe that has openings on both end, small openings, you can have a better control of the the height. That is how flow meters work.

View Profile

thanks for the ideas.  I think suspension of a magnet spinning in one spot would be easier to perform.  I've seen the magnetic barbell that would spin above a concave base.  However back to the idea of making the magnet float.  What if I just have sections of coiled wire and I power the sections on each side of the magnet with a repelling force.  Then I change which sections repel to get the magnet moving.

peace*&^

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Suspending a magnet is a lot harder than suspending a magnetic piece of metal. This is because the two inverse laws combine to give a fourth law, which is even harder to control.
Side fields will just flip the magnet over.
Look at diamagnetic material, that is material that is repelled by a magnetic field. Bismuth is one such metal, then use the electro magnet to push against gravity, it is a much more stable set up.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: