Go Down

Topic: Uno Fritto? High voltage to 6 unmarked pins. (Read 255 times) previous topic - next topic

JayF

Hello all,

I've been doing my best to avoid posting on forums while learning Arduino, but I could really use some advice now. 

After having just successfully driven a 12V fan with a MOSFET for the first time, I tilted the board to see the pin numbers (instead of just leaning forward) and touched the 6 unmarked pins next to the disconnected USB port, which I believe to be the ICSP pins for the 8U2 USB-serial convertor chip, against live exposed solder carrying 12V from a PC PSU.  Several or all of the LED's lit up, which alerted me to my stupid mistake.

Now, when I connect the USB, the On and pin 13 LED's turn on, but when I try to upload a sketch the Rx light briefly flashes three times and about 10 seconds later I get the error:
     avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

My question is:  Although I understand it might be possible to reflash the firmware for the 8U2 chip, is it likely that I have fried it completely with 12V and should I just order a new Arduino now?

Thanks,

Jay

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy