Go Down

Topic: [Solved] - Light Bi-Color LED with 2 Pins? = Yes (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Eddiie

Feb 02, 2013, 06:11 am Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 08:04 am by Eddiie Reason: 1
Hello everyone,

This is my first post.   I have a simple question regarding a Bi-color LED (Red/Green) with only 2 pins.

I am pretty sure the LED package contains 2 LEDs in opposite directions that will light up depending on the direction of current flow.

My question is, can I use 2 pins from a microcontroller to act as a ground and positive at different times?  Green sometimes, Red at others?

Next question is the resistor..  Doesn't the resistor usually go on the side going to ground...  I guess it would be fine if the resistor is on the positive side as well?

Does this make sense?   2 color LED with 2 pins...   the pins would sometimes be positive and sometimes be negative depending on what color (red / green) I want.

CrossRoads

Yes.
Both Hi, or both Lo, neither is on.
Hi/Lo and Lo/Hi lights up one or the other.
Single series resistor need, does not matter which side of the LED pair.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

MAS3

Switch fast between red and green and you'll see yellow and so have a third color at your dispence.
Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy