Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Interfacing the EZ Antenna Tracker with arduino. Suggestions?  (Read 86 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am planning to control my tracked robot via an xbee link and I would to use  directional antennas to get the maximum possible range. So I would like to interface this gps based antenna tracker with an arduino to consistently keep the antennas pointed at my bot. I understand this tracker uses
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_21&products_id=54

Typically the gps information is send through the audio channel on an fpv transmitter. I remember after some googling I was able to find out how it was done. Now I can't seem to find it anywhere. Does anyone know what this type of communication is called and have any suggestions on how to convert my gps data to something the tracker can understand?

Thanks!!!

Walter
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 06:15:54 pm by Walter103 » Logged

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

Hi,

If you're suggesting encoding the GPS info down the audio link of your FPV downlink then I presume you already have this on your robot?  If not, dedicated telemetry transmitters are typically cheaper than FPV downlinks, and operate at full RC transmitter range.  If you're not married to the xbee then you could consider upgrading the whole thing to RC radio (FASST/Spektrum/FrSky/whatever).  That would boost your range without the cost of an antenna tracker.

Interfacing to RC radio is not something I've done - but it might be worth a bit of a google.  Many of the digital transmitters are ATmega328P (or even less) based...so the interfacing to the transmitter modules won't be beyond an Arduino.

Geoff

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse"
- retired astronaut Chris Hadfield

View Profile

I am not actually controlling the bot with an xbee yet. I'm currently using a spectrum rc transmitter and reciever. However if I want over 6 channels I'm going to have to pay a fortune, so I was planning to set up communication with 900mhz xbees (line of sight range up to 28mi), and continue using 2.5 watt video transmitter for the video feed.

My question is how to control this ez tracker directly from the arduino as it is going to try to decode the signal(as if it is coming from the audio channel on my video rx.

So do you think a dedicated telemetry transmitter would be preferable to an xbee?

Thanks!

Walter

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

If the bot moves fairly slowly you might consider an Ethernet based wifi system that can stream video and provide bot controls.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

I'm currently using a spectrum rc transmitter and reciever. However if I want over 6 channels I'm going to have to pay a fortune
Hi Walter - that's true if you go for a genuine Spektrum.  8 channel Orange DSMX or other compatible can be bought even with a couple of satellite receivers favourably priced with Spektrum 4ch.

My only reason for suggesting telemetry rig (or, swap to FrSky with telemetry in transmitter/receiver) is I think you could do it simpler & cheaper than trying to stretch the range of the XBee.

Cheers ! Geoff

View Profile

If the bot moves fairly slowly you might consider an Ethernet based wifi system that can stream video and provide bot controls.
I don't think I'll be able to get the range I'm looking for with that kind of system...

[/quote]Hi Walter - that's true if you go for a genuine Spektrum.  8 channel Orange DSMX or other compatible can be bought even with a couple of satellite receivers favourably priced with Spektrum 4ch.
[/quote]
What are these satillite recievers you mentioned? I remember looking at the digi m10 satillite module but it is being produced anymore.

Walter

Brisbane, Australia
Edison Member
View Profile

What are these satillite recievers you mentioned? I remember looking at the digi m10 satillite module but it is being produced anymore.
This is not an endorsement, just an example.
This OrangeRX 8ch DSMX compatible receiver has connectors for two additional satellite receivers to increase connection resilience.  Satellite receivers for that one could be this, this, or this.

Similar modules probably exist for FrSky too, which has inbuilt telemetry.  You mentioned you have the Spektrum transmitter though.

Cheers ! Geoff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: