Go Down

Topic: "ON" LED is red (Read 2002 times) previous topic - next topic

Macro206

I heard that the ON LED is supposed to be green...
Also, it seems to already have the Blink sketch uploaded, but whenever I try to upload another sketch, it doesn't work, saying:
"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"
I have set the board and serial port correctly.
I use Mac OS X Mountain Lion, and I got the board off amazon from UkTechParts for £15.92
Is it a fake? It does have the "MADE IN ITALY" text and logo on the back, and all the text seems the same on my board and the official pictures.
The blue colour of the board does seem ever so slightly bluer, but it might just be me...
Please let me know if you need extra info/photos!

Thank you!

P.S. Oh and I do have a replacement chip if necessary; the chip that is already on the board is "ATMEGA328P-PU"

Coding Badly

I heard that the ON LED is supposed to be green...

It is.

Also, it seems to already have the Blink sketch uploaded, but whenever I try to upload another sketch, it doesn't work, saying:
"avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding"
I have set the board and serial port correctly.

Probably has a different bootloader installed than the one you are expecting.  Or no bootloader is installed.

...and I got the board off amazon from UkTechParts for £15.92

Were I in your shoes, I would send it back and use the fact that they violated the trademark as leverage to try to get a refund on shipping.

Is it a fake?

Highly likely.

Macro206

Here are photos of the front and the back of the board. Is it really a fake?

Grumpy_Mike

Feb 02, 2013, 10:59 pm Last Edit: Feb 02, 2013, 11:01 pm by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
The R in 'Platform' on the back looks wrong. Also the screen printing is not very good so there is a good chance that it is a fake. Compare it carefully with:-
http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoUnoBack.jpg

Also their web site is down so they might have done a runner.

Given that the on LED is red as well I would say it was a fake.

Macro206

The "R" just has a hole in it. On the front, the two silver-colour cylinders with a black part say 25V on them when they should be 16V...

Grumpy_Mike

You could try asking Massimo if they have ever produced them with a red on light.

Coding Badly

The brown reset button is another give-away.

Coding Badly

If you decide it's counterfeit...
Trademark Violations
If you would like to report a trademark violation please contact trademark (at) arduino.cc

retrolefty

One really doesn't need to go all technical on if a offered arduino board is counterfeit or not. The vast majority of the ones violating trademark sell for ridiculously less then the real deal. If it's selling for more then 20% less or more you can be pretty certain.

Lefty

James C4S

All the telltale signs are there.

Compare to this one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9849051@N04/6578137169/
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

smeezekitty

My board from Sparkfun which I believe is official is virtually identical.

Mine also has a hole through the "R" in platform and a brown reset button. The LED is green though.
Also the USB fuse is silver instead of green.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Coding Badly

I must be losing my eyesight.  The button is brown.

James C4S

Mine also has a hole through the "R" in platform and a brown reset button.

So does mine.

Also the USB fuse is silver instead of green.

Are you sure there isn't a slight gold tint to it?
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Coding Badly

I vaguely recall that a serial number is programmed into EEPROM.  Bit later I'll dumped my Uno's EEPROM and report the results.

smeezekitty

Are you sure there isn't a slight gold tint to it?

Maybe a bit.
Avoid throwing electronics out as you or someone else might need them for parts or use.
Solid state rectifiers are the only REAL rectifiers.
Resistors for LEDS!

Go Up