Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Light Up Flags  (Read 888 times)
Colorado
Edison Member
Reviving dead brain cells with Arduinos.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Our high school Winter Guard program approached me a month ago, asking if I can light up their flags.  Their theme this year was Radioactive and they wanted to do something, well, radioactive.  After reading the rule book, I discovered that everything needed to remain self-contained.  Nothing attached to the performer and nothing externally controlled (as in, everything needs to happen on the floor.)  After looking at the flag design and following their request, I needed to attach a total of 504 lights (that number was originally 630 but we cut out 6 from each flag.)  Not wanting to spend an arm and a leg for the whole project, I decided to create my own pixels.  All in all, the whole project ended up costing a little over $300, took me a week to sew everything, and off they went.  They are the first team to have light up anything in the history of the program.  I suspect next year there will be more teams wanting to light up flags and/or props.  We are already planning on what to do.

Since I can't put the video on YouTube because of the audio used, I have it sitting on my server as a flash video.  Audio track is Radioactive by Imagine Dragons:

http://www.thekirchners.net/FHSWG/

USA, FL
God Member
A life? Where can I download one of those?
View Profile

Nice!!  They should have turned out the lights at the end or least dimmed them..

//LiNK

Colorado
Edison Member
View Profile

Would've been nice, but no, for various reasons.  Those gymnasium lights are either metal halide or sodium lights, once you turn them off, they take upwards of 30 minutes to cool off before you can turn them back on.  Then they take about 15 minutes to come on to full power and brightness.  That's not something you can do in the middle of a competition where every show runs on a strict 15-minute interval.  And then there's the safety factor of having a few thousand people in a gym, in the dark.

This is why I had to use those bright LEDs, so they can be seen without turning off the lights.

View Profile

For some reason I can't get the video to fully load, it gets stuck constantly...

Is it just me?

My 3x3x3 Led Cube

[url=http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,1642

Colorado
Edison Member
View Profile

Works for me ...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: