Go Down

Topic: Limited analog inputs (multiplexing?) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

michou

I have a project with which I want to use a graphical display (based on the KS0108 and the GLCD library) to be able to display multiple information. The problem is that I need multiple analog inputs (at least 2) and the KS0108 requires 5 analog inputs to function and the Arduino Uno only has 6.

Time is not critical so I could use only one analog input but sample analog values from that input in a round-robin fashion, maybe using a multiplexer and some digital outputs.

Does anybody has an example of doing such a thing? Although I am an electrical engineer, I haven't done electronics since almost 20 years and I need some help.

Thank you.

Grumpy_Mike

johnwasser

I think that the easiest solution might be to use an Arduino Mega in place of the UNO.  That will give you a lot more pins to work with, including 16 analog inputs.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

michou

michou

johnwasser I forgot to mention that the Arduino Mega was not an option. Thanks for the reply though.

CrossRoads

Or go with an external DAC, like microchip MCP3208, 8 channel 12-bit DAC with easy to use SPI interface.
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/integrated-circuits-ics/data-acquisition-analog-to-digital-converters-adc/2556291?k=mcp3208
Lot cheaper than buying a whole Mega just for analog ports.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

dc42

Two suggestions:

1. The KS0108 GLCD library needs 13 pins, but the documentation says you can change the pin assignments in the configuration file. So change the configuration file to use more digital I/O pins and fewer analog input pins. If you are not reading data from the serial port then you can use pin 0 as either R_W or D_I.

or

2. Use a GLCD based on the ST7920 chip instead, then you can interface to it using just 2 wires instead of 13. This simplifies the wiring as well as saving pins.
Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

michou

Thanks, I will certainly look into those options.

zoomkat

A multiplex board like below might be of use.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9056
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

michou

Yes, that would solve my problem. Thanks.

Docedison

A plain old CD4066 would give 2 channels with one control connection. Use one of the gates as an inverter and you have a 1 wire 2 input analog switch, I would however use voltage followers to drive the transmission  gates as they do have a small dc resistance. This is a "Best Practices" kind of engineering thing, Or If you do that you will have less trouble later and it provides a layer of protection for the processor.

Bob
--> WA7EMS <--
"The solution of every problem is another problem." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I do answer technical questions PM'd to me with whatever is in my clipboard

MarkT

Another approach (which will slow down the interface) is to use a shift-register like the 595 to
drive the data bus of the controller - that only needs 3 pins instead of 8, so the total pin count
is reduced by 5, freeing up analog inputs.   Of course the driver software/library for the controller
would need adapting.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy