Go Down

Topic: Transistor/MOSFET not Working (Read 366 times) previous topic - next topic

DibDibs

OK, I've got that circuit setup and the lights are turning off fine if I ground the gate pin of the IRF540, but the 2N2222 doesn't appear to be working, when I give the base of the 2N2222A 5V, the lights do not turn off, they remain on.

What could be the problem here?
Sorry about my naïvety, I haven't had much experience with MOSFETS and transistors.

MarkT

If you give the base of the 2n2222 5V it will fry immediately.  The base resistor is essential to
the circuit.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

tinman13kup

OK, I've got that circuit setup and the lights are turning off fine if I ground the gate pin of the IRF540, but the 2N2222 doesn't appear to be working, when I give the base of the 2N2222A 5V, the lights do not turn off, they remain on.
Perhaps you should post EXACTLY how this is wired up. The IRF540 is an N-ch mosfet. You do not ground the gate to turn them on. A ground on the gate is to turn it OFF
It's not a hobby if you're not having fun doing it. Step back and breathe

MarkT

Perhaps you should post EXACTLY how this is wired up. The IRF540 is an N-ch mosfet. You do not ground the gate to turn them on. A ground on the gate is to turn it OFF
reread the post: ''the lights are turning off fine if I ground the gate''

But yes I'm worried the NPN's base was shorted to 5V rail and destroyed.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

dlloyd

I think he meant "base resistor" (if he followed the diagram). Here's how to identify the pins of the transistor:

tinman13kup

reread the post: ''the lights are turning off fine if I ground the gate''

But yes I'm worried the NPN's base was shorted to 5V rail and destroyed.
My mistake. I got in a hurry in anticipation of going out and shoveling snow...Yeah, yippie....can't wait to do it again....

He could try to meter out the transistor, or just try a different one if he has one available.

tinman13kup

Still, a post with exactly how it is wired up would be beneficial. A picture too, to make sure pins were not mistaken.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy