Go Down

Topic: Controlling an animatronics bust (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic

Retroplayer

Thanks. I have actually looked at the PID library and it seemed too complex for what I am trying to do, especially with trying to tie in a bunch of motors. It could be that I am just not understanding it fully. if someone is willing to help me figure out how to incorporate it, I would be extremely grateful.

As for the loop suggestion. That is the idea. New, incoming serial commands get loaded into the array. A loop pulls the commands out of the array and updates the motors. If no new commands were loaded, it just refreshes the motors to the last position they were in the array (in case they had moved somehow.) That generically holds the position. Upon first initialization, I load all the default positions into the array for neutral. And the head will move into a nuetral state on the next update.

So, I am technically only commanding a single motor at a time but instead of directly moving the motor I load the command into an array, and a timer triggers the update routine and refreshes the motors.

PeterH

Feb 07, 2013, 05:04 pm Last Edit: Feb 07, 2013, 05:06 pm by PeterH Reason: 1
The way I would approach this is to create an object for each servo that you want to control. Each servo object would use an input position sensing object to determine the position of the output, and contain a PID instance (or other feedback algorithm if you prefer) to control the power/direction output requirements.

If you need to support different types of position sensing (I think you implied that in a different post) then use a class hierarchy with a base class providing the interface and common functionality, and derived classes providing the alternative implementations.

Design your servo class with a method that can be called periodically to read the current position, compare that to the commanded position, perform the feedback calculation and generate and send the output control.

I'd represent the error input to the PID and the power and direction outputs using signed integer values.

In setup you would create and configure the required servo instances and store then in an array, and then in loop() you would call each servo's update method at regular intervals. If you want to be able to receive servo positioning commands too then you'd configure the interface for that and in loop() you'd also check for any incoming commands, parse them, and send them to the relevant servo. It doesn't sound particularly complicated, and the most critical part would be designing the class hierarchies for your servo and input position sensor so that you avoid code duplication and are able to treat the different implementation types the same once you have instantiated them.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Retroplayer

PeterH,

That pretty much sounds like what I am aiming for in my attached code. The beginnings of it anyway. I still have to determine how to handle feedback structure. However, I am using structures instead of classes. I am really unfamiliar with the concept of classes just yet.

I like the way you are suggesting, just trying to figure out how to implement it. You say error input to my PID calculations, but isn't it the other way around? Doesn't the PID calculate the error as a result? Then I use the error to determine the direction to move and the speed (in another routine, or just do that in the PID routine itself?)

laadams85

No, you calculate the error and feed it into a PID routine.  Libraries may do the calculation for you, but the versatility of the PID is that it is irrespective of the inputs/outputs.  It is really just a zero finding scheme on the error function.

Retroplayer

No, you calculate the error and feed it into a PID routine.  Libraries may do the calculation for you, but the versatility of the PID is that it is irrespective of the inputs/outputs.  It is really just a zero finding scheme on the error function.

hmm... according to my notes from reseearch, this is the PID formula:

error = P * Kp + I * Ki + D * Kd);

P, I, and D

are calculated like this:

P = Current position - Set position
D = P - Last_P

So, perhaps we are defining error differently? As my notes have error as the entire PID formula.

Is error in your terms equal to currpos - setpos?

Thanks

Go Up